Best radiator for high CFM fans???

Germz

Limp Gawd
I need a dual or a triple rad that will work well with high CFM fans (70CFM+). I'm thinking of getting either a Thermochill PA120 series or a Feser X-Changer 240 or 360. I heard these are the best, unless someone wants recomend something else.

i'll start with the CPU for now but later will add GPU and NB waterblocks

Which GPU and GPU? The ones listed in your sig?

If so, you'd be fine with a MCR320 and some medium-low speed yate loon fans...

Which GPU and GPU? The ones listed in your sig?

If so, you'd be fine with a MCR320 and some medium-low speed yate loon fans...

no, i'm actually upgrading to an e8600 and HD 4870. I already have high CFM fans, 3 Thermaltake Red LED 120mm 78CFM silent fans, the same fans i'll be using in my case so i wont be getting yate loons. Does your suggestion for the Swiftech rad still stand and you think i need a triple rad not dual??

For an e8600 and a 4870 you could probably get by with a double radiator with those fans... If you want to reduce their speed down to around 60% or so with a fan controller, a triple radiator would also suffice, saving you around half the noise level.

for highlow fans
TC pa120.3 is better
but
TFC X-CHANGER is easier to mount inside of case

Black Ice GTX

Correct. Don't know too much about the Feser rads, but with 38mm high pressure 100+ cfm fans (which is what I consider a high speed fan) the Black Ice GTX rads pull ahead of Thermochill and Swiftech rads.

With 70cfm fans I'd save a little and go with a MCR or XSPC RS rad.

well according to this review here, Feser X-Changer will work very well with my 78CFM fans, they are actually considered medium speed in the review. Granted they reviewed the Quad rad but i assume same will apply to dual and triple rads.

http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/The-Feser-Company-X-Changer-480-Review.html

edit: another review i found pits the Black Ice GTX against the Feser X-Changer:

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2008/05/23/radiator-shootout-1/4

They used AC Ryan Blackfire 4 Kameleon fans that have almost same CFM as my TT Thunderblades, Feser came out on top but noit by a whole lot.

Interesting review though, not many out there for the Feser rad yet.

High CFM fans work great with the GTX series.. its built for it..
Fin arrangement caters to low CFM fans for the TC/Feser

GTX is your best bet...

High CFM fans work great with the GTX series.. its built for it..
Fin arrangement caters to low CFM fans for the TC/Feser

GTX is your best bet...

thats right. judging by the review i posted above GTX rad does better with high & ultra high CFM fans, it is ties with Feser in medium speed fan category and Feser wins in slow and ultra slow.

Since i own medium speed fans i can go with either one but if i decide on lower or higer speed fans in the future and pick the wrong rad now i'm screwed.So I got a tough choice to make.

Honestly, either the Feser or a Thermochill rad would be flexible enough to work with either high-speed fans or low-speed if it calls for it in the future. Good luck!

The Feser/Thermochill radiators are optimized for lower CFM fans and have larger fin spacing; tighter fin spacing like on the GTX480 leads to better performance with high speed, high pressure fans

well, i decided to get the Black Ice GTX triple rad so i can cool both the CPU, and in the futute the GPU and possible the NB.

The Feser/Thermochill radiators are optimized for lower CFM fans and have larger fin spacing; tighter fin spacing like on the GTX480 leads to better performance with high speed, high pressure fans

Sure, but he said he'd want the flexibility to cool with either high or low-speed fans for the future. You have more flexibility with either the PA's or the Fesers. But it looks like he made his choice.

Good luck, OP!

Sure, but he said he'd want the flexibility to cool with either high or low-speed fans for the future. You have more flexibility with either the PA's or the Fesers. But it looks like he made his choice.

Good luck, OP!

I actually havent ordered anything yet because my upgrade is still a month away so i may change my mind.

I do have a question though, which rads are better the Thermochill PAs or Feser X-changer? The Thermochill are a proven performer yet there has been so much hype around the Feser and its actually marketed as a Thermochill-killer but there hasnt been any reviews that i've seen that compare the 2. There is a review that pits the Feser against the Black Ice GTX which i posted above but nothing for the Thermochill. I wonder if anyone done their own testing?

I'll give an estimated relative performance rating... 1.00 is the baseline and refers to about 140w of dissipation (therefore, a rating of 1.25 will dissipate 25% more heat than 140w):

1200rpm: Thermochill (1.25) > Fesser (1.2) > Black Ice GTX(1.10) > MCR (1.05) > BIP (1.00) > Black Ice GTS (0.9) > Black Ice Xtreme (0.85)

The order holds true for most other fans, but at around 1600rpm, the Black ice GTS, GTX and Xtreme creep up about 10%.

I'll give an estimated relative performance rating... 1.00 is the baseline and refers to about 140w of dissipation (therefore, a rating of 1.25 will dissipate 25% more heat than 140w):

1200rpm: Thermochill (1.25) > Fesser (1.2) > Black Ice GTX(1.10) > MCR (1.05) > BIP (1.00) > Black Ice GTS (0.9) > Black Ice Xtreme (0.85)

The order holds true for most other fans, but at around 1600rpm, the Black ice GTS, GTX and Xtreme creep up about 10%.

So from that u've told me Thermochill and Feser are almost equal performers. But the difference is negligeble and results will vary from pc to pc so if i go with a rad for low/medium speed fans either one will do i suppose.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying.

I've also said that, given your planned upgrade to a e8600 and HD 4870... A MCR320 radiator would be more than enough with the fans you currently have... At about half the price of the thermochill.

I've also said that, given your planned upgrade to a e8600 and HD 4870... A MCR320 radiator would be more than enough with the fans you currently have... At about half the price of the thermochill.

Yes, i remember you saying that. However, i wanted to get a quality rad that will last me a while, i'm not always gonna have a 8600 and 4870 , plus its also very likely that i'll be cooling the chipset as well. So i'd rather spend the money on something good once instead of buying a rad every couple of years if that makes any sense. If a triple rad isnt enough down the road i can always get another single or dual rad later.

Yes, i remember you saying that. However, i wanted to get a quality rad that will last me a while, i'm not always gonna have a 8600 and 4870 , plus its also very likely that i'll be cooling the chipset as well. So i'd rather spend the money on something good once instead of buying a rad every couple of years if that makes any sense. If a triple rad isnt enough down the road i can always get another single or dual rad later.

The MCR320 is quality -- the Themochill and Fesser rads are just overpriced.

The MCR320 is quality -- the Themochill and Fesser rads are just overpriced.

Quality? Not really, but it has a solid design which translates into good performance. It's a good choice for the money.

Martin on the MCR320

Speaking of what is or isn't overpriced, here's Martin on the Feser 480:

Feser 480

Notice, beyond the bling factor you have a much better designed rad that functions VERY well. And this can be said without the usual low-end qualifier "for the money." IMO, it serves absolutely no one, especially in an environment where people are trying to learn, to blow off an entire class of products because some contributors can't/won't spend premium cash for premium performance and quality.

I fully agree with you MrBloodshoe...the choice really comes down to budget for your build.

Back