Best Quiet Fan to complement the Thermalright SP-94 Heatsink?

baldyguy

Limp Gawd
I just recently got the Thermalright SP-94 heatsink, now I'm looking for a good quiet performance fan to complement my heatsink. WHich one should I get? THe 92MM Panaflow or the Vantec Stealth case fan 92mm?

The rule of thumb seems to be that the more noise the fan makes, the mroe pressure it produces. The faster it spins, the more aggressive the blade profiles, thickness of the fan, etc all help to produce more pressure.

From what I've read, the SP 94/97 require a significant amount of air pressure to perform well. This means noise.

On another note, you'll get more help by posting your question in the right forum. ;)

RickyJ said:
On another note, you'll get more help by posting your question in the right forum. ;)

He speaks the truth!
*moves thread*

Sorry, it may be a good heatsink, but it's not considered "extreme" in this neck of the woods :D

Well, I have e Thermalright SLK-947U with an OLD generic 80mm pulling up through the HS and I hit 50C with my [email protected] at 100% load. And, it's actually very quiet. I am gonna try strapping a 92mm Tornado to it and see if it actually helps temps any or if it will just make more noise. If I get the same temps, I'll just go back to my generic 80mm.... BTW, anyone ever hear of Adda fans?

You should not have a fan sucking air up through the heatsink -- it must face down and blow into the heatsink fins. Thermalright says so, and you shouldn't do otherwise.

92mm Panaflo Low is my suggestion.

Vantec *Stealth* fans are NOT quiet. Panasonic makes incredible quiet fans, and I *think* (don't quote me on this) that the 92mm L1As are still Japanaflo, not Chinaflo.

Go with the Panaflo. While you're at it, replace all the fans in your case with Panaflo's... then revel in the silence ;)

Ohhhh, I beg to differ. A lot of the chinaflo's have an audible clicking sound from them when you put your head close to your machine. I'm a bit of a noise freak, so most people won't care, or other noise in their case will cover up the sound of the fans, but... there is a difference between the two.

It was more of a point of interest anyways, I know most people don't care about noise to the same extent that I do, and for most people, that clicking sound will never even be heard, and even if it is, they won't care.

Just sharing my experience. In all fairness, if a Chinaflo doesn't have the clicking sound, either I'm hallucinating, or they do seem to be quieter than Japanflo's.

EDIT: OH, and just so the original poster knows. Even a panaflo with the clicking is a MUCH quieter fan than the Vantec "stealth" (They should get sued for false advertising for that...)

_Korruption_ said:
You should not have a fan sucking air up through the heatsink -- it must face down and blow into the heatsink fins. Thermalright says so, and you shouldn't do otherwise.

That is to get the lowest temps possible, if your temps are ok when sucking instead of blowing you can actually decrease the dB a notch or two.

Anyone tried the SilenX fans? I'm tempted to try one myself but those ratings (not mentioning the price) seems a little "off" to me. :confused:

I've got SilenX fans and they're SO quiet. I'm mean, they're not just quiet, they're quiet. My Silent Boost fan was the loudest thing in my case before I replaced it.

I have two 120MMs that run at 14dba and push 58CFM. My 80MM is 14dba fan pushing 28CFM. Wow... my system is ultimo quiet. Everything in my system compliments itself now. I have the Enermax Noisetaker 470W which is very quiet by my standards and I have the VGA Silencer on my 9800 NP. I can't hear it over my low-volume music. :D

If you want to have decent airflow and true silence, SilenX is the bomb! :cool:

Cheers! :D

papst also make some ridiculously quiet fans but i dont know if thats just because they are weak compared to silenx

i have got a 92mm panaflo on order, L1B which i think are newer than the usual L1X fans... 43cfm / 27dB which is about right for me given the noise of my hard drives... when i was looking i saw zalman 92mm fans with some stupid airflow figure at 20dB though, over 40cfm i think but as their 80mm version is only average i avoided it, they dont put that figure on their website and everyone else uses rpm only with no cfm figure so i didnt trust it

has anyone got one of these:
pan92mmFBL.jpg

is that a cross section or do they really only have 1 side?

-ChEM- said:
papst also make some ridiculously quiet fans but i dont know if thats just because they are weak compared to silenx

i have got a 92mm panaflo on order, L1B which i think are newer than the usual L1X fans... 43cfm / 27dB which is about right for me given the noise of my hard drives... when i was looking i saw zalman 92mm fans with some stupid airflow figure at 20dB though, over 40cfm i think but as their 80mm version is only average i avoided it, they dont put that figure on their website and everyone else uses rpm only with no cfm figure so i didnt trust it

pan92mmFBL.jpg

online store? which addy...I want to get one but couldn't find it anywhere in HK...argh

_Korruption_ said:

92mm Panaflo Low is my suggestion.

you are wrong

depending largely on the air flow of the case, but in my experiance with boards sitting outside the case, sucking off works better than blowing on

-ChEM- said:

pan92mmFBL.jpg

looks like it sucks from the one side and the sides of the fan and pushes out the front. with that the optimal airflow is always going to be blowing down

baldyguy said:
What do you guys think about the TT's Smart Fan 2?

TT Is ThermalTake? IF thats the case... don't even touch them. They might be contagious. I hear noise is catching these days...

yeah its ok for my hs but as a case fan assuming you are screwing into the case when you attach the fan it will only be able to be used as an exhaust fan not an intake.. it cant be that hard to put another surround on the other side... but i reckon it will look pretty good on my big 900a when it arrives :) ... as long as the metal clips will hold it properly

I ended up getting the Panaflo FBA09A12H 92x25mm for my SP-94. I also picked up an Arctic Silencer for my 9800pro - I'm hoping my computer will become a quieter and cooler place, starting tomorrow night....

Back