Best psu for oc'ing?

DaveX

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 2, 2003
Messages
1,774
Any suggestions? This will eventually run an oc'd Socket 939 A64 Newcastle, 2 SATA drives in Raid 0, a couple of optical drives, maybe an LCD, and water cooling (no pelts).
 
When I comes to OCing, you want a reliable PSU...I use Antec TruePowers and love them...Go with that!
 
Yeah, I love Antec TruePowers as well. Does anybody have input on Fortron, Zalman, or Thermaltake psu's?
 
TruPower 412 here

the only requirement for a good OC power supply is a lot of power to spare on all the rails. Dont get generic because the wattage is usually a gross overestimation. If you really want to get a good PSU go for PC Power And Cooling, but a good one of those will run you ~$100.
 
Best is PC Power & Cooling. Some of the main excellent name brands are Antec, Enermax, Fortron.
 
I have a PCP&C 510 deluxe and have owned many other brands, there is simply no comparison.
 
Originally posted by MontyAC
Best is PC Power & Cooling. Some of the main excellent name brands are Antec, Enermax, Fortron.

I agree 100% with Monty here. I've had both the Antec Truepower 430W (in my old MAX3 setup) and my current Enermax EG465P-VE and I've loved 'em both. I'm still slightly more partial to the Antec as it had slightly more stable voltages, better cooling, and a (black) sleeved ATX power cable.....not like this annoyingly stiff silver braiding on my Enermax. :rolleyes:

Because of where I buy my hardware I've never had the oportunity to own a PC Power and Cooling PSU but I won't doubt their effectiveness.

Antec and Enermax are IMO your two best bets as consumer ready/available power supplies that are almost built for overclocking. ;) :cool:
 
Fortron is a good quality power supply. The actually are the OEm for some of the other brands out there. If I had only $40 to spend, I would go for a Fortron.
 
Originally posted by Xeese
Fortron is a good quality power supply. The actually are the OEm for some of the other brands out there. If I had only $40 to spend, I would go for a Fortron.

Yeah, it's just as interesting how there are names that are considered "quality" in their own areas. It's nice that the PSU market is diverse enough that someone still has the ability to get something half decent for under $100. :cool:
 
I know Fortron has many of the same OEM components as Sparkle and Zalman, but apparently Anandtech's Fortron recommendation from their last psu roundup got some bad rap.
 
Originally posted by DaveX
I know Fortron has many of the same OEM components as Sparkle and Zalman, but apparently Anandtech's Fortron recommendation from their last psu roundup got some bad rap.

Meh, since when has THG's word stood up against the rest of the market??? They're good for the odd thing but if the test involves anything subjective.....I steer clear of them.
 
I was talking about Anandtech...I never go to THG. Anandtech's last psu roundup was questionable, they recommended some very questionable psu's. The Fortron 400W they recommended got really bad user feedback.
 
Originally posted by DaveX
I was talking about Anandtech...I never go to THG. Anandtech's last psu roundup was questionable, they recommended some very questionable psu's. The Fortron 400W they recommended got really bad user feedback.

Which is why it's important to get as much outside information as humanly possible.....and that's where we come in. ;)
 
Back
Top