Best processor for single threaded applications?

fatjapp

n00b
I'm looking to upgrade from my existing i5 2500k processor, but spend most of my time using older single threaded applications such as 3DStudio Max.

Would anyone care to recommend a faster CPU from the current crop?

I assume that you can still turn off Hyper threading, but I must admit I'm somewhat out of date on the latest batch of processors....

Thanks

Sorry if this has been asked many, many times before.

Pretty much the highest-end currently-manufactured Intel is what you'd want. You didn't mention; are you trying not to have to get a new motherboard?

Keep in mind, for example, if you went with the i7-4770 over your 2500K, at stock clock speeds reference, the 2500K is only 18% slower than the 4770. If you got the 4770K (vs. the 4770), of course you'd be able to OC, but I'm not sure how much they OC relative to the 2500K, and whether you couldn't get just as close to the performance if you just OC'd your current system. If you're prepared to plunk down money for a new motherboard and CPU at the risk of only getting 18% more performance, that's the best option (outside of the recent Xeon's).

I noticed from dragonstongue's link that the 12xx Xeon's are the same socket as the 2500--on LGA1155. Are these Xeon's swap-in compatible with most LGA1155 motherboards? If so, and the price doesn't bother you, then maybe that's your best bet (best single-threaded performance at stock speed--probably can't OC).

The new i7 4771 would be the absolute best performer if you aren't overclocking.

If you do overclock or just want to save money then the i5 4670k would be a good choice. Essentially the same as the 4770 minus hyperthreading.

I might as well stick with the current processor for the time being.

It is currently overclocked to 4.0Ghz so it looks like it won't be too far off the current crop at default speeds.

Thanks for the help.

Back