Best PPD

sl1982

Limp Gawd
Hey guys i just saved up some cash and was looking at adding some more 'D' Ive got $250 CDN and i might be looking at adding a GPU. My board only has 1 PCI-E slot so what would be the best PPD solution for me? Thanks for the help

Not sure what cdn prices are like but if you can find a GTX260 in your price range I'd go with that.

Yeah, Xilikon should be in here to help being he understands what is to make computer purchases North of the border, but I would think a GTX 260 would be a great piece of hardware for PPD. I love mine. What is the other hardware you will be putting it with? Most importantly, what power supply?

PS - Antc Truepower Trio 650W
Mobo - Jetway w/ integrated Geforce 8200
Ram - 2gb Value Ram
HD - 1 TB Samsung
CPU - AMD Phenom X4 9750
GPU - Yet to be determined

Not sure you can find a GTX 260 for 250$ since the exchange rate went into the crapper... A better value for 250$ would be to get a 9800GTX+ but then the best bang for the buck is to get 2x 8800GS or 9600GSO that can be found for less than 100$ each north of the border. 2 of them can match a 9800GX2 for under 200$.

See what you can find used.
I picked up a 9800GX2 for $200 (usd) a few weeks back.

Not sure you can find a GTX 260 for 250$ since the exchange rate went into the crapper... A better value for 250$ would be to get a 9800GTX+ but then the best bang for the buck is to get 2x 8800GS or 9600GSO that can be found for less than 100$ each north of the border. 2 of them can match a 9800GX2 for under 200$.

Brother Xilikon you're always on top of things :D
Ever the budget consious individual I am (in other words I'm cheaper than shite :rolleyes:) I noticed you posted 2x 8800GS's or 2x 9600GSO's would match a 9800GX2. Since I already have a eVGA 8800GS and a eVGA 9600GSO I came up with this sorta' briiliant ideer of using both of them on the same mobo for 24/7 folding. Is it even possible to fold them together without shortin' the pernts on the same mobo (I read on this forum the GS and the GSO cards were identical) :confused:
I've got a OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W PSU coming by slow boat from China or wherever the guy on Ebay keeps it.(UPS ground). So in about a week I was considering trying to buy a 9800GX2 of some flavor (whatever brand was cheapest :rolleyes:). Reading your post maybe instead of investing in a 9800GX2, maybe I'll just invest in a top flight SLI mobo (a i790 or so, I was going to use a P5N-E SLI mobo temporarily, seeing I already have one, until I could get a better board like a "open box i680 or i750), but if I can fold with my GS and GSO together peaceably I'd just get a i790 or something right off the bat.
So what do my brothers and sisters on team 33 think of my possibly great ideers (you know, tighting up the tight wad) :confused:I have great respect for the computer knowlegdeable team 33 members on this forum and would someone please give me some suggestions. If my ideers are "out in left field" please let me know. I've got some pretty thick skin. Besides that, if the ideers are really screwy, I'll just say I was kidnapped and somebody made me write this post :rolleyes:
Thanks in advance :)

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

Too many choices. And im not really too keen on buying used parts. I think im just gunna buy the gear to put a water cooling system in. Get a video card later.

Thanks for the help though guys!

You might check the DC FS forums, you just might find a good enough price on a used 8800GTX to persuade you to buy used. It won't be there long.

Back