Best ppd for 1k

I had a main rig build planned for Feb-March with a 3k budget. I think what I am going to do is combine the budget from both rigs and make one monster main rig.

I would go with 4x12 core and watercooling. First 2 things I will order are the CPUs and the mobo. What are your suggestions for these. Budget is now 4k though I would rather not spend the whole thing hehe. I have the Vid card already which is a GTX 550 TI. Everything else I need including a case.

How much will something like this pull from the wall? I can dedicate a 20 amp circuit to it.

Depending on your noise tolerance, this is a great place to start, especially if you need a case - http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038185182&postcount=853

Add 4 x 6174s,16 sticks of memory, and some basic SATA HDD, and you are up and running with a very nice machine capable of well over 500K ppd. You would also come in at around $3K, which would leave you enough for a basic daily driver as well.

My 4P with 6174s (48 cores total) pulls a bit over 500 from the wall.

That said it is little more than mobo, chips, RAM, PSU, and a HDD sitting on a slab of cardboard on a shelf in my rack.

You start adding vid cards and such, power goes up.

I would hope that this 4P your building isn't going to be your daily driver. A sinple 2500k rig will preform much better at games and general web browsing because of the higher core speed. Also you keep the folding rig folding.

You think a solid 750W would cover it with that vid card? I have 2 computer related hobbies, overclocking and FAH. The main rig I had planned was to satisy my OCing and benchmarking cravings but tha'ts about it. It would fold pretty good and thats all it would do once I had it stable as I don't game. This rig will help people more by the amount of work it can do and all I will be doing on it is browsing the net and watching some HD movies/TV. Basically 22 of 24 hours a day it will just sit and fold so for me I think it is a better option than building a OC based rig and having it just fold as it won't produce nearly what this will.

What are the specs on your 4p 48 core?

Thanks for the link musky, you always seem to know the great deals on e-bay! I will want to go with Watercooling on this build as I would like to keep it quiet as I can :) Going to need a giant tower for a case I think hehe.

Last edited:
Specs are in sig.... but beyond 4x 6174s it is quite generic. Also most of the 4P g34 mobos have IPMI, so there is no vid card installed..... don't need it.

I would still do a E-350 or i3 rig for daily driver, since you don't game a basic system will do.

The 4P needs to run linux, not windows. So you need a windows rig to run all those programs you need.

Also, you would be shocked at how much simple web browsing kills your ppd.

Linux is actually my preferred choice and I have no problem using it as my daily driver and for watching the occasional movie :) For web browsing I spend maybe altogether a hour a day browsing. I do have some other rigs around that I can use as a daily driver. I have a quad core phenom which I am on now and works fine for movies and browsing. I'll start it as basic as I can and see where I endup hehe.

This would work fine? http://www.wiredzone.com/AMD-OS6234WKTCGGUWOF-2.40GHz-6234-Opteron-12-Core-Socket-G34-~10021441~0.htm

The 6174 is too much $$ hehe.

Last edited:
Back