• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best power supply under $150?

PsychoZX

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
Messages
437
I'm looking for a new power supply and I was wondering if someone could point me to some of the best for 150 or under. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
 
If you want the absolute best PS, then a PC Power and Cooling would be the way to go. They've got a 425 ATX Deluxe for $149 + shipping (5 year warranty) or a Silencer 410 ATX for $89 (3 year warranty).

If not those, then and Antec Truepower or Enermax Noisetaker, whatever wattage you can afford.
 
in that category, you can do a few things.

1. stretch and spend $215 for the best of the best psu, the pcp&c 510 deluxe (my personal choice).
2. Get the 2nd best psu the pcp&c 425 deluxe, which is in your price range
3. Get the Fortron 530, the 3rd best psu in the world (although in terms of performance its tied 2nd best probably; the pcp&c has nicer fit and finish)

Those are the only three I would really consider if you have a very power hungry rig or plan on overclocking

PS: the fortron is $75 bucks shipped off of newegg and will outperform all those pricey antec and enermax supplies. It will also run with the pc power and cooling supplies.
 
I'm still stuck between many different choices. The PP&C Turbo-Cool 425 Deluxe (maybe 510 Deluxe but that might be a stretch for my budget), OCZ PowerStream 520w, Fortron FSP550-60PLN 550w (looks like a nice power supply but in my case (Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA) that would sorta stick out like a sore thumb, i know looks aren't everything but they are a consideration for me in this case), and Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE 600W. Any thoughts?
 
By the way here are my pc specs:

2.4c @ 3.2ghz 1:1 cpu memory ratio
1GB Geil PC4400 Dual Channel Kit(2x512)
GeForce FX5900nu (Getting 6800 Ultra)
ABIT IC7-G
120GB 7200rpm IBM Deskstar (Will soon be adding 2 200GB Western Digital WD2000JDs SATA)
Onboard sound (upgrading to Audigy 2 ZS)
Pioneer A05 DVD Burner
Plextor PX-W4012A
NEC Floppy
2 120mm Case fans, 1 92mm Case Fan, 2 Cold Cathodes

Also in the future I will be Getting Danger Den Water Cooling Kit with a DD12v pump and a 226w or 169W peltier.
 
True Power 550 Antec. I deployed 100's of these and have yet to have any come back.
they are as quiet as to be expected for a 550 watt can find for 109 ish..
 
The stock Fortrons and the lower PCP&C units aren't stong enough on the 12v rail for you.

The TC510 or any 12v single rail 3?A (EPS for marketing purposes) PSU would be about your only choices.

You will need a whole lotta balls on the 12v rail with that setup.

For under $150 I would say the Antec TRUE550 EPS12V at $100 but the TC510 might be worth it for an extra $100 more (still haven't seen any solid arguments but...)

Obviously get a Meanwell for the pelts.
 
The Fortron 550 EPS has dual rails, maybe not the best design for his use.

Also to use the Fortron he will need to modify the 8-pin or make an adapter for it, no room to plug in an 8-pin on that board.

Also for any of the "EPS" supplies you will need a 24-20pin adaptor.

The reason to skip the Enermax does not involve "overkill" but voltage regulation.
 
firtol88 said:
The stock Fortrons and the lower PCP&C units aren't stong enough on the 12v rail for you.

The TC510 or any 12v single rail 3?A (EPS for marketing purposes) PSU would be about your only choices.

You will need a whole lotta balls on the 12v rail with that setup.

For under $150 I would say the Antec TRUE550 EPS12V at $100 but the TC510 might be worth it for an extra $100 more (still haven't seen any solid arguments but...)

Obviously get a Meanwell for the pelts.

How about the OCZ Powerstream 520w it has 33a on the 12v rail?
 
The fortron 530w is more than strong enough on the 12v line. To be safe though, I would go with the pcp&c 510 deluxe. I have one and I will NEVER go back to another brand.
 
PsychoZX said:
How about the OCZ Powerstream 520w it has 33a on the 12v rail?

:confused: :confused: :confused: I still don't trust OCZ... I don't know who makes it... I have yet to see enough real testing of true retail units. Those are the top three reasons I would avoid it.
 
in reality, thats more like 25+ amps. Fortron rates VERY conservativley, and can outpower the antec trupower 550 over and over and over again. Ask someone who knows, like Ice Czar or Tedinde. Newegg even lists the specs for it @ both 18 and 26 amps.
 
computerpro3 said:
in reality, thats more like 25+ amps. Fortron rates VERY conservativley, and can outpower the antec trupower 550 over and over and over again. Ask someone who knows, like Ice Czar or Tedinde. Newegg even lists the specs for it @ both 18 and 26 amps.

:rolleyes: Being a bit generous there huh. I will agree Fortron rates conservativley but Antec tends to rate fairly acurately. Whatever the case I think 25A will likely be a bit shy of optimal.

As for outpowering the 550... which one and in which way??? If you think the FSP530-60GNA-R has a fatter 12v rail than the TRUE550 EPS12V I fear you are mistaken.

From the hard testing I have seen Fortrons are a bit over spec but Antec's VR is a bit tighter and they are equal to spec... please point me to anything that shows otherwise.
 
Or you could get something with two 12 volt rails, at about 30 amps total, and save yourself 70 bucks. Plus the PCP&P's aren't the way to go imo till you get to their 510 line.

Get the 470P enermax.
Here

Newegg's is slightly cheaper, but this has free 2 day shipping so its about the same cost for 1 day sooner.

Here are the specs.

Now you say you're willing to spend 150. If you somehow feel 30 amps of 12 volt isn't enough, or have some strange 3.3, 5.5 needs, then perhaps invest another 50 bucks and get a PCP&P top tier PSU.
The PCP&P are top for reasons other than just pure wattage per rail however - "Clean power" is the best way to sum that up.

I forgot to add - enermax's website claim its both ATX12V 1.3 and 2.03 compatible... That would imply it comes with a 24 pin main with an adapter, but I have yet to see mine as its in the air somewhere.
 
Thanks for the help everyone but considering the parts that I have in my system and the parts I want to upgrade too I have decided that i'm going to go ahead and pay the extra money for the PP&C Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe.
 
Everyone here will agree I would think: You will be happy w/that PSU :p The cables are bound quite nicely too.
 
Can't hear my Tagan it is soooo quiet. It looks great and has gotten great reviews.
 
Back
Top