WeShipTech
n00b
- Joined
- Aug 4, 2011
- Messages
- 56
I've seen a few different power supply calculators around that give different results. Which ones have you found to be the most accurate and realistic?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
There are no accurate PSU calculators.
No, it's because they are generally based on false data.That's because most of the PSU calculators err on the side of safety, recommending units of higher wattage than what's deemed necessary for a given system configuration. After all, they have to assume that you're using a mediocre-to-poor quality PSU when they determine the wattages.
Just curious, what do you mean by false data? Most power consumption calculators give some wattage value based on the basic classification of a component (ie HDD, RAM, CPU, GPU) and its method of operation (stock, overclocked, etc).
Is it that the variation on power consumption from different model components are large enough that one cannot generalize this with a single value? Or is it that they are just wrong (ie, the values used have no correlation with any of the models of components)?
Adding a bunch of numbers together is easy, but when the numbers are wrong, the answer you get is not particularly useful.Just curious, what do you mean by false data? Most power consumption calculators give some wattage value based on the basic classification of a component (ie HDD, RAM, CPU, GPU) and its method of operation (stock, overclocked, etc).
Is it that the variation on power consumption from different model components are large enough that one cannot generalize this with a single value? Or is it that they are just wrong (ie, the values used have no correlation with any of the models of components)?
You could do that, but then you'd be wasting money on an oversized PSU that would end up running less efficiently than something properly suited for your system.tbh I would use 2 calculators , take the higher of the 2 totals then add 150-200w and buy the best one I could afford and not worry about a free program that you are counting on for power estimations.
Adding a bunch of numbers together is easy, but when the numbers are wrong, the answer you get is not particularly useful.
You could do that, but then you'd be wasting money on an oversized PSU that would end up running less efficiently than something properly suited for your system.
Yes, I have a 1000W PSU. Is it properly sized for my main rig? No. That fact also has absolutely nothing to do with anything I said in my previous post.LOL says the guy with a 1000w psu!!! uh not exactly, most systems need about 500w (assuming they are a single gpu gaming setup). So, are you suggesting that getting a 650w psu is a poor decision? What having room to upgrade?
Yes, I have a 1000W PSU. Is it properly sized for my main rig? No. That fact also has absolutely nothing to do with anything I said in my previous post.
Getting a 650W PSU for a single-card gaming system is a poor decision if a good 500W PSU can be had for a lower price. Room for upgrading is irrelevant; people rarely have concrete upgrade plans, and by the time they're ready for an upgrade, they can just buy a new PSU if they have a need for more power (which is not the case for most people).
The 520W PSU I was using in my main rig three years ago is currently powering a machine with a GTX 470 and a 9600GSO in it. It's doing quite fine, might I add.room for upgrading is not irrelevant @ all. Most good psu's will last up to 5 yrs and many people will upgrades gpu's long before that. Think of what gpu you were using 3-5 yrs ago?
The 520W PSU I was using in my main rig three years ago is currently powering a machine with a GTX 470 and a 9600GSO in it. It's doing quite fine, might I add.
And what I'm getting at is that I didn't need to buy a 750W PSU in order to last through three years of upgrades.Good. Thats what I was getting at![]()