Best portable mp3 for working out?

zwotb

Weaksauce
Hey,

I'm considering a Rio Cali Sport ( 256MB ) + Tunebelt ( arm and/or waist belt ) and I'm wondering if there are better considerations or any stipulations from all of you [H] people who get in the gym and lift weights and do cardio?!

I want to ensure that whatever I go with won't inhibit me from working out and that it will stand up to general motions associated with working out.

Any ideas on headphones ( yes I know, beat to death on this forum )? I'm generally not a fan of earbuds because they tend to fall the hell out, but maybe I've always had crappy ones or my ears are messed up =P

I've been stuck with a clunky mp3 CD player and it's getting to be bad times carrying that thing around and in general I can't even use the thing during most lifting because of it's size.

TIA!

I usually take my ipod to the gym when I work out, but I cant go jogging with it cause I heard something about the hard drive messing up. I only jog with it when Im on a treadmill cause I can lay it on a flat secure surface.

That being said, Im waiting a couple hours for now for the iPod flash and see how it is so I can take a new portable mp3 player to the gym. I usually work out for 3 hours so I need a couple tunes and 128mb-256mb just isnt enough. Though I did work out with a 64mb nike mp3 player and it was phenomenal.

As far as headphones go, I have no clue what to tell you because I think earbuds are the most useful when working out. I dont look for great quality audio when working out, I just need to listen to my own music rather than the crappy gym music.

Great question, I am in the same boat. I have a Dell DJ and don't want to use it running and carrying my cd player is more hassle than it's worth.

For the headphones I use a pair of cheap Sony's from BB. They're kind of like earbuds in that they stick in your ear but they have a loop that goes around the ear so they don't fall out.

I used to have a Creative Zen 20 GB I sold it and bought a Rio Forge 128M (edit I got the 128M not the 256) and upgraded it with a 1G SD card. The player is fantastic for working out. It comes with a arm band that's comfortable and the ear buds sound great. I can easily skip tracks and adjust volume while running. The software is pretty good and it also has a built in radio tuner. There was a recent review at rojackpot on this player. It's not the massive juke box my zen was but it holds plenty of music for working out.

Just get a pocket pc, it can play MP3's and a whole lot more. And it uses solid state media so running won't potentially damage it.

I have the older version of that Rio player, it's been working well for me. The Rio Cali looks to have a better design. I would end up bumping my player on machines and skipping songs or stopping them. The Cali looks to have a recessed control pad which should help. One problem is the band gets annoying during arm exercises but that's gonna be the case with any similar setup. These players can take a pretty good beating and keep ticking which is cruical.

IMO earbuds are the way to go, i use some cheap sony's that I dont mind getting dirty. You might want to check out some neckband head phones with a single sided cable, those might be your cup of tea.

Well, like I said during my first post in the thread, I was gonna wait for the Apple. I went a head and bought it now. :)

LetMeThinkNow said:
Well, like I said during my first post in the thread, I was gonna wait for the Apple. I went a head and bought it now. :)

Give us a review when it comes, will you?

GodsMadClown said:
Give us a review when it comes, will you?

Definitely, pics and review! Should be a while before it gets here.
:(

I shouldve just calmed down and not ordered it online, the Apple store near me is getting them next week. :mad:

Always been tempted to look at the Rio Sport for that sort of thing...water resistant, and uses flash memory so no bouncing issues like a hard disk player. Though currently, work gave me an iPod (for "storage" purposes, as my boss put it) and I've used that plenty of times while on the spin bike, tucked into a back jersey pocket.

Either way, I'd find a neoprene case or something light to carry it in, so you don't get sweat on it...the salt and acids can be really hard on electronics.

iPod shuffle looks pretty tight and the price is not bad! That thing could definately work at the gym. I hope you saw the notes at the bottom of the page:

1. Music capacity is based on 4 minutes per song and 128Kbps AAC encoding.
2. Do not eat iPod shuffle.
3. Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced. Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.
4. Some computers require either the optional iPod shuffle Dock or a USB cable extender (sold separately).

LOL that just cracked me up and I wanted to share.

Back