best place to sell stuff?

spincut

[H]ard|Gawd
i got some stuff i want to sell, but i dont want to go through alot of hassle and i also am not 100% sure they're completely working.

for instance im using a 9800pro and i think it overheats, but that could just be because it was poorly designed, or it could be ingame bugs, but for the most part it works fine.

obviously something like that wouldnt pass muster on ebay, but i just want to sell it and get a card that doesnt run as hot or has better cooling.

I notice that there is a sellers forum here, but i'm not so sure how trustworthy it is, i almost would like to find an online shop that ships you out a box or something, or go somewhere in person to sell some of my used parts.

well my friends might, and they'd understand if i told them there could be issues, but if something did eventually break i'd feel bad.

besides, i dont think they really are interested.

someone reccomended computer renaissance, wich is near my hometown so i cantake some parts back when i go home but it would be nice if there were more places or something.

Hmm, wanna compare real life to virtual life?

Selling your R9800Pro to your little town would equate to about 1,000 of uninterested/clueless people and 1 or 2 people who are just poor that they'll "make" you sell it for a cheaper price within a month (that has happened to me-- coincidently, they were my friends. :rolleyes: ).

Selling your R9800Pro to just one forum would net you at least 5 hits of interested buyers well within your asking price range within a week.

That doesn't include posting in 10 different forums at once, but imagine if you did. Where you located at? J/W. Just make sure the people who you're selling to has good feedback. Ask others about this person and see their responses about him/her. Don't be afraid.

-J.

i still dont trust "forum/s" even this one. And frankly i wouldnt expect someone to trust me either.

i'll be honest, some of the parts i was having problems with, i dont beleive they're broken, it probably was bugs or issues with my system as they do indeed work, but i just dont think i'd want to conduct such a loose contact unbinding sale to someone and find out it's not perfectly working or they're dissatisfied and i took their money.

likewise i'm not going to label all my stuff as "junk" just because i was suspicious about some wierd issues i had so nobody buys it or i get a really bad price.

spincut said:
obviously something like that wouldnt pass muster on ebay, but i just want to sell it and get a card that doesnt run as hot or has better cooling.
Actually....
I sell my good stuff here first on the forums, they get all the good parts i'm trading at the moment, and my shit parts, esp. stuff that i'm unsure about the workability, go straight to e-bay.
You'd be suprised at what is out there on e-bay, it's one of the main reasons I won't buy computer parts there!

If you don't test your own things and you admit of knowing there is a problem with it, you have to inform the public about each and every one of them. That's honesty enough. Some people may plunge into a risk and even buy it from you, though I wouldn't expect them to pay the retail price. You'd have to accept the "loss" and sell it for a cheaper price.

Unless you test your own card and you see there is no problem, then state it. But be prepared to help your "customer" if they ever have a problem with it. That's good communication and assistance, then maybe they will be happy enough to not complain and work with you on the problem(s).

And you're simply being cynical. Of course there is no reason to trust anyone on the forum but look for those who have been here such a long time or see if they're well known across the web. Not well known in a bad way, of course. ;) You'll have tons of honest traders, buyers and sellers who would back you up if you are ever in a stranded situation. Perhaps once you start selling and buying in a consistent rate with satisfaction, you'd become the 'top guy' in which you can make the buyer actually send you money first!

It takes time.

-J.

Vertigo Acid said:
...and my shit parts, esp. stuff that i'm unsure about the workability, go straight to e-bay.

Why do you exactly do that? Do you tell the eBay buyers of the certain problems on the things you sell or do you just not say anything? Hopefully you do the first part. My parents are honest eBay'ers and I know many others that use eBay too. They have no intention of lying to anyone. They just buy/sell what they need or don't want and they clearly say the conditions of the product itself.

-J.

you dont understand, of course i have tested them, they are parts i previously used! and while i used them they did work, but for say the Geforce 3 it wasnt liking my DVI monitor, and tech support could never figure it out and said it could be 1000 different things, so i just used the analog and it was fine, could have just been a bug.

The Radeon 9800pro gets very hot obviously but even in fine conditions when i play a very high demanding game for a while sometimes the game hangs or i get artifacting, now that still could be a game bug, but it also could be overheating, meaning the card itself may be defective because it cant cool itselfs properly at stock speeds, but i cant really tell that for sure.

None of my parts are "broken" but some of them had some wierd things while i was using them that i could never quite fully figure out, and it's reasons like that i would not want to sell them.

And besides, i'm not a big time seller, i dont want to hope "someday" i'll be the "top guy" i just want to sell these parts, so being cynical is perfectly appropriate seeing as what i want to sell is what i have now, not 100 sales into the future.

GeForceX said:
Why do you exactly do that? Do you tell the eBay buyers of the certain problems on the things you sell or do you just not say anything? Hopefully you do the first part. My parents are honest eBay'ers and I know many others that use eBay too. They have no intention of lying to anyone. They just buy/sell what they need or don't want and they clearly say the conditions of the product itself.
-J.
If there's physical damage, I get pics and note it in the description. If it has some other problems, they're disclosed, depending on the serverity I'll either guarentee against DOA or I won't depening on the item and my faith in it. And yes, I sell a lot of straight up dead hardware on e-bay. No, not for full price, no, not undisclosed, just straight up dead. People buy dead HDs all the time looking for the circuit boards hoping to repair their own. But the problem with e-bay is that most sellers do not disclose issues, and just hope the buyer either never notices or never says anything.
As for why I sell a lot of crap on e-bay, it's simply because there is a market for it there, whereas here there isn't. How many times have you seen a thread full of 6 year old parts with overly high asking prices and never sell a thing? I bet they'd sell single one of them if they headed over to e-bay!

Back