Best place to find ATI 5800 and 6800 series video cards

mstavridis

n00b
Where's the best place to find ATI 5800 and 6800 series video cards (used) that are inexpensive. Cousin wants to build gaming machines, but his vendor is selling him video cards at retail value lol.

With cards of that age, your best bet would probably be to scavage the for sale forums on sites like [H] and maybe even make a WTB thread for what your looking for.

It's going to be rough finding a place that just stock piles those cards used. Maybe someone else will have some insight on businesses that deal with used hardware, but I am not aware of any.

I think you'll have to stick to auction sites and for sale forums.

Thank you for the advice! Any other forums like hardforums that is know for users selling used hardware?

yeah those cards might be hard to find since they're also popular for bt mining, used sales, classifieds are your best bet. but why not buy a new current gen card?

Thank you for the advice! Any other forums like hardforums that is know for users selling used hardware?

The OCF classifieds are a good place http://www.overclockers.com/forums/ although you'll have to read and meet the forum requirements there in order to even see them. A certain post count and then get it enabled by a moderator.

[H] and OCF are probably the only places I'd buy/sell at all. Safe places to trade and trust me that they suffer no fools or deadbeat traders. If you "dibs" something be prepared to make payment to the seller immediately or you'll get banned posthaste. As will the seller if he doesn't ship immediately. Good shops.

I'm normally not so hesitant about these things, but getting and using AMD cards from those generations are going to be tough thanks to all the Bitcoin mining that they've been subjected to. You sure you can't just get used GTX 460s/560s as a substitute? Better chance of them not being completely beat to shit.

These cards are still priced higher than you would think because of mining various coins. Having 1600 cores (5870) put them in a league of their own, so to speak.

If you find any, they may have been mining for years, so be careful. I'd go for newer 7xxx mid range cards for new builds.

Damn, sounds like my never-bitcoined-mined-on 5870 1GB card is worth its weight in gold, so to speak LOL. Guess I need to sell it! :D

Yeah, what's wrong with a new 7850/7870 and some free games? Due to BTC mining the prices are nearly identical to the cards you are suggesting.

In Korea they still sell 5870 for pretty cheap brand new with a tri cooler. About $180. I got a used one for $130. Can get a 5850 for $100 used.

Back