Best place to buy RJ45 cable?

SkyyNet

Limp Gawd
I need a very small cable like 4-5 inches what would be the best place to pick one up cheap? I know home depot sells the stuff pretty cheap but I would have to put the ends on it....is that easy to do?

thanks!

For lengths like that, you are probably better off making it yourself. See if you can find some cable that is laying around that you can use, as that will prevent you fro having to buy a large spool.

Making your own cabe is not too hard. Sometimes it is difficult to deal with the smaller wires inside, but you will get used to it. A google search should turn up lenty of "how-tos" on how to make your own patch cables.

For that, you'll be rolling your own. For premade lengths, I prefer monoprice.com
You will have a hard time beating their cable prices, especially for large orders.

I got a roll of 300 feet at lowes for $15, then a bag of 200 ends, 200 boots, and a crimping tool for a total of $20 on ebay.

Its going to last me a while :D

Don't make one that short, it's outside of the specifications. Make it at least a foot long other wise you can end up with a bad connection.

Xipher said:
Don't make one that short, it's outside of the specifications. Make it at least a foot long other wise you can end up with a bad connection.

ok, for a footlong should i just order from the above mentioned monoprice?

For something like 1' cable i would just check out a local PC store or bestbuy or something like that. Though if you plan on making lots of cable i know last week Home Depot was having a sell on 1000' Boxes. You can get a ends/crimper's online just about anywhere. If you are just looking to make cable that's all you need, but you might want to get some wall boxes, key stones, and a punch down tool, and face plates, to make nice wall plates. But thats another story...
Though making network cable is quite easy, you can find a guide or color chart just about anywhere, just make sure your color's are right and they go all the end of the rj-45 jack and crimp it hard.
Here's a site for you
http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.aspx

-(Xyphox)- said:
For something like 1' cable i would just check out a local PC store or bestbuy or something like that. Though if you plan on making lots of cable i know last week Home Depot was having a sell on 1000' Boxes. You can get a ends/crimper's online just about anywhere. If you are just looking to make cable that's all you need, but you might want to get some wall boxes, key stones, and a punch down tool, and face plates, to make nice wall plates. But thats another story...
Though making network cable is quite easy, you can find a guide or color chart just about anywhere, just make sure your color's are right and they go all the end of the rj-45 jack and crimp it hard.
Here's a site for you
http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.aspx

wow, thats a great website - thanks! bby charges like $10 for a 1' cable which is a huge ripoff. im not going to be wiring my house....i just need a cable to go from my router to modem which are right next to each other. i have like a 7' wire that i had taken home from college a couple years ago...and its just too big....so i wanted something a little smaller that would make it look neater.

i think im just going to buy it off monoprice for now and then in the future ill just buy a spool and crimp tool and make my own. thanks for the link again....im sure im going to use it in the near future.

SkyyNet said:
wow, thats a great website - thanks! bby charges like $10 for a 1' cable which is a huge ripoff. im not going to be wiring my house....i just need a cable to go from my router to modem which are right next to each other. i have like a 7' wire that i had taken home from college a couple years ago...and its just too big....so i wanted something a little smaller that would make it look neater.

i think im just going to buy it off monoprice for now and then in the future ill just buy a spool and crimp tool and make my own. thanks for the link again....im sure im going to use it in the near future.

10 Bucks for 1'? HOLY HELL thats like a 500% Markup... Welcome for the info though :D

-(Xyphox)- said:
10 Bucks for 1'? HOLY HELL thats like a 500% Markup... Welcome for the info though :D

Considering monoprice charges $0.80 for ONE, it is more like a 1200% markup.

-(Xyphox)- said:

Yeah, they do the same with USB cables.

I just ordered some cables from Monoprice. I purchased some DCE/DTE cables from them off of e-bay last week, and their shipping was pretty quick.

Dew said:
Considering monoprice charges $0.80 for ONE, it is more like a 1200% markup.

Yeah it was a just guess was not going to do the math at 8am, lol

cburwell said:
Yeah, they do the same with USB cables.

I just ordered some cables from Monoprice. I purchased some DCE/DTE cables from them off of e-bay last week, and their shipping was pretty quick.

Yeah I usually just make my own patch cables, or find them online, its insane to think the markup on premade network cable and such.. Its insane

Back