Best PHP Editor

metapad / xemacs / vi

Editors get significantly better if you step up to the $30 range with EditPlus, UltraEdit, or the like. Several recent threads have a more complete list of opinions, but I don't remember them all.

I have to say that I purchased a copy of Zend Studio and it is great. Worth every penny. They have a nice demo so check it out. Once the demo is over some of the features are disabled, but you still might like it.

i like maguma studio. there's also a plugin for eclipse, but it still needs some work

if you've got the system specs for it, use eclipse with the php plugin. (Not saying the requirements are high for eclipse but if you're me on an old mac with 128megs of ram, its not the best choice.). So i'd go with vim (gvim).

funny enough, i use GoLive and Dreamweaver for most of my PHP editing...my brother hard-codes php in notepad. scary stuff.

cheers,

dave

the sick thing is, he's THAT good...just started doing it one day (he's also a Flash/MySQL/ActionScript/PHP GOD) and well, he's been doing it for 6 years now.

cheers,

dave

i use metapad as a drop in replacement for notepad. obviously there's no syntax highlighting or anything fancy, but it's infinitely better than plain old notepad. (don't have a link, just google).

i code nearly all my html in metapad, some php in it but most in maguma studio as i noted above (i got it from a few versions ago when there was a decent free version).

can be, but if you set up your schemas on a whiteboard, etc. it's not too terrible....

cheers,

dave

Back