"Best-performing card that doesn't require an extra power cable"

rush24t3

2[H]4U
Friend of mine is interested in such a card, the best-performing PCI-Express card (or GPU type) that doesn't require power other than what the slot provides. I'm not exactly up on all the cards, thought I'd inquire here.

Thanks.

That would be the Radeon HD4670 (the 4770 requires external power now I think). I believe theres also a downclocked version of the Geforce 9600GT called the 9600GT Green or something that doesn't require external power either. I haven't seen how it performs though.

there might be pcie card like that, but i think the performance won't be that great

the 4670 is the best bet then, performs close to the 3850, with AA enabled, slightly slower, no external connector needed.

What is the power supply your friend has, how much does it say it possess at the 12v? What is his processor?

I ask for while the 4670/9600gt green will be the fastest without a power cable you can get a 4770 that is much faster. The 4770 is an 80 watt part. The 4670 is a 50 watt power (the pci express bus can give up to 75 watts.)

If your power supply is good enough you may want to consider getting a converter that uses 2 molex power convertors to get a 6 pin. This will allow you to take two of those connectors usually used on ide harddrives and fans and use them to power your card. This is perfectly safe if your power supply is large enough. A 4770 is faster than a 9800gt and almost gtx+ in speed. It has 640 stream processors vs the 320 the 4670 has.

Both the 9600GT and 4770 require either a 6-pin PCI-E power connector, or two 4-pin molex power connectors with an adapter. The 4770 would be the better card IF the OP's friend wants to do that adapter thing, but if not, then the 4670 is indeed the most powerful card that requires no power besides that which comes from the slot. nVidia's best card that requires no extra power is the 9500GT, but the 4670 is much faster than the 9500GT.

There is the 9600 GT Green as mentioned before, I haven't seen it being sold anywhere so at this point I think it's just vaporware.

There is the 9600 GT Green as mentioned before, I haven't seen it being sold anywhere so at this point I think it's just vaporware.

Naw I saw it at newegg.com earlier.

Maybe it was the 9800gt green, but I did see one. It just looked like a downclocked card, think it was 500mhz core.

Back