• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best path for upgrade for 2 pc's

BeavermanA

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Apr 27, 2006
Messages
3,318
So my main pc has an HD5870. Currently running a 2560x1600 monitor. Also runs my 1080p plasma. I switch between the two depending on the game, but it's a PITA with kb/mouse, messing with primary display, long hdmi cable, switching sound outputs etc.

I also have my old pc that just needs a better video card to be good to go for running the 1080p plasma, so I want each display to have its own pc.

What do you think would be a better choice?

Option 1: Buy GTX580/HD6970 for main pc & put used HD5870 in old pc

or

Option 2: Buy another HD5870 for CF in main pc & buy GTX460(or slightly better) for old pc

And also I have the original Sapphire HD5870 from release, the one they are selling now is newer. Is that still compatible in CF with my old one without any issues?

Is an overclocked GTX460 powerful enough to play racing games at 1080p like Dirt 2, F1 2010 and possibly the upcoming TDU2 with 60fps at max settings? Or should I get a better card for the old pc if I choose option 2?
 
all 5870s are compatible with one another, heck you could crossfire with a 5850 if you wanted (though please dont do this)

As for your question, I'd wait until the 6900s come out and see how well they do before you make your decision
 
since your using HDMI i'd say use the 5870 in the system on the tv then decide between the gtx 580 or 6970. ya got about 5-6 days before the NDA is removed on the 6900 series so i'd wait til then before doing anything.

as far as your second question, ya the 460 should be enough for Dirt 2 and F1 2010 @ 1920x1080. probably wont get 60fps constant but will be close enough.
 
Back
Top