Best OS for continuous uptime stream encoding?

robofan

n00b
Like the title says, I'm trying to set up a basic PC that I can count on to stay running for long periods of time, keeping a stream going. And I heard that unix is the most reliable but I don't know if there would be encoding software for it that wouldn't need an emulator.

Linux/BSD, hands down.
define: "encoding software", define: "stream"

Got to be more specific to get much of any help. FFMpeg can happily do audio/video encoding for a stream. Also: define: "emulator" because Wine Is Not an Emulator, it's more of a compatibility layer.

Well the encoding software will be one of the audio freeware encoders, I haven't decided which one yet though. And the "steam" is an online radio station...

I've got a basically headless Dell Inspiron laptop (doesn't even have a display attached to the laptop itself anymore and no keyboard on it either) that has been running Windows 7 for like 5+ years streaming audio using Windows Media Encoder. Aside from a power outage a long long time ago and me subsequently powering it from a UPS it's been on basically 24/7 the whole damned time without issues so, while I know Linux or some other *nix variant will always get the nod for uptime, it's not an absolute requirement to use for such purposes.

I've got a basically headless Dell Inspiron laptop (doesn't even have a display attached to the laptop itself anymore and no keyboard on it either) that has been running Windows 7 for like 5+ years streaming audio using Windows Media Encoder. Aside from a power outage a long long time ago and me subsequently powering it from a UPS it's been on basically 24/7 the whole damned time without issues so, while I know Linux or some other *nix variant will always get the nod for uptime, it's not an absolute requirement to use for such purposes.
True, and every time I get all enthused to try Linux, the simplest tasks are a PITA and require constant Googling as 90% of Linux is not intuitive at all. This is time better spent doing other things so I usually abandon the Linux escapades within the week.

You need to be more concerned about the reliability of your distribution network.

So that means you never updated Win7 either, you have updates disabled. Have you blocked the machine from accessing the internet?

So that means you never updated Win7 either, you have updates disabled. Have you blocked the machine from accessing the internet?

It's behind a hardware firewall with just one port opened for the audio stream and yes it's been connected to the Internet (hardline Cox cable circuit) the entire time. There's no reason to update the OS on that machine (it's still just using Windows 7 Pro x86 SP1) since the only function is to provide that audio stream for my own purposes - it's not being used by anyone but me.

It's behind a hardware firewall with just one port opened for the audio stream and yes it's been connected to the Internet (hardline Cox cable circuit) the entire time. There's no reason to update the OS on that machine (it's still just using Windows 7 Pro x86 SP1) since the only function is to provide that audio stream for my own purposes - it's not being used by anyone but me.

Ha.

Back