Best option for storage and drive juggling?

The Internal

Limp Gawd
Summary:

So... I'm trying to figure out what the best option would be for my to address my aging 4TB storage drive and if I should add more storage to my new system.

What I have now:

I've (mostly) built a new i7 6700k Z170 based system (darn paper launch of the 1080 T-T). Until I have my new GPU, my current main system remains my main gaming system.

My new system only has a Samsung 950 Pro 500GB for storage (and until I figure out how to mod my Raven RVZ02, only 2.5" expansions), and will mostly be used for gaming, VR, and streaming media / living room use.

My current system (i5 3570k w/ two GeForce 670 GTX in SLI & 16GB RAM) has a Sasmung 850 EVO 500GB SSD that's all but filled due to the Steam summer sale and my 4TB HDD has been all but filled (about 2.5TB of movies alone in addition to over 600GB of games) for over two years. I want to turn it into my main media server and a gaming system for my GF.

I have an old external 3TB drive for backup (filled) that's partly redundant for my filled 4TB.

My current backup / the GF's current gaming system (AMD FX 8320 w/ two GeForce 280 GTX in SLI & 8GB RAM) has my oldest 512GB SSD and an old 1TB HDD.

I also have a 256GB SSD and another old 1.5 TB WD Black Caviar from my recently decommissioned / not sure what I'll do with it old Core 2 Duo system that WAS my (loud as hell) TV box.

What I'm considering / would love second opinions on:

So, I'm not sure what would be the most cost effective way to address the issues. My largest concern is that all my HDDs are 4+ years old and I don't want to keep operating one of my systems with two storage drives around 95% to capacity.

I'm leaning towards getting a cheaper 1 TB SSD, offloading games / anything but media from the 4 and 3 TB drives and having them be redundant media storage drives.

Thoughts?

Back