Best option for memory?

M0710NM4N

Weaksauce
This is what I have picked out so far and wondered if I could get some insight on what memory to pair up with this hardware...

NZXT Phantom 820
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011
Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz
4x Western Digital WD VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
Astro Gaming A40 Headset

I am a huge fan of Corsair so I was leaning towards something in the Dominator Platinum line... but wasn't sure if going with 1866 is ok or if i should be leaning towards the 2400 or 2133. Also.. beings this is my first i7 machine... how much memory should I go with? Im use to running 4 GB with my QX9650, but seems most i7's are typically running no less than 8 - 16 GB or even more.

Also... can anyone suggest a quality cooler for the i7-3930k? Something with a push/pull config possibly?

Well I would swap out the mechanical drives for SSDs unless you really like them.
I would also go with 8GBs of RAM to start with, you can always add more in a pinch.

Anything over 1866 will be great but this also depends on how much overclocking you'll be doing and what processes you want to excel at (for games 1866 will be great you don't really need more).

Appreciate the quick response.

I have to be honest, I'm not feeling comfortable with the SSD's quite yet. Maybe Im a little old school? Probably be more apt to purchase them when they become more of a standard option in a few yrs and the pricing comes down a bit.

I don't plan on any OC'ing this time around, so will stick with the 1866. Thank you...

So you believe though that 8 GB should be sufficient? I mostly do gaming (CoD, BF, RTS)... and mess with Photoshop a lot and a little bit of movie editing.

Well if you will really be using Photoshop etc, I would say go for more RAM right away because Adobe suite applications can eat up your memory pretty fast.

i personally think that 16GB would be more than enough for you in such a situation.

Yea I don't know anyone who would need more than 16 gb of ram lol... I have 12 and I dont think I ever used over half of it

Back