best option for bluray playback

They are pretty much equal for 2D playback, but I found TMT handles 3D a lot better.
PowerDVD gives you the ability to have the image come out of the screen more, but no matter how it is set up, its harder on the eyes and doesnt looks as good.
Not only that, but the amount of things that ended up running on my system after installing PowerDVD was silly. The invasion into my registry was monumental. It took me forever to install it with a very good HIPS security system running.
Thats my experience anyway.

I recommend running the trials on a fresh install of windows on a spare hard drive if you want to try them for yourself.

They are pretty much equal for 2D playback, but I found TMT handles 3D a lot better.
PowerDVD gives you the ability to have the image come out of the screen more, but no matter how it is set up, its harder on the eyes and doesnt looks as good.
Not only that, but the amount of things that ended up running on my system after installing PowerDVD was silly. The invasion into my registry was monumental. It took me forever to install it with a very good HIPS security system running.
Thats my experience anyway.

I recommend running the trials on a fresh install of windows on a spare hard drive if you want to try them for yourself.

or you would recommend TMT? I don't do 3d only 2d playback.

I tried out power dvd 13.0 and it was trash. I came from powerdvd 11.0 which works fine except when win 8 came out the media center plug in stopped working. 13.0 would tell me I can't play disks that 11.0 played fine. Audio would get off when it was fine on 11.0.

Luckily cyberlink has 30 day money back guarantee so I was able to get a refund. I could recommend you 11.0 as its been fine for me except for the one media center plug in. But you probably want something newer so I would stay away from 13.0.

Just my experience I've used Powerdvd and TMT. I used TMT for about a year, but it took a while for it load for me through media center, sometimes it wouldn't load at all and I would have to restart my HTPC. For the past 6 months or so I've been using Powerdvd and have been liking it much more.

Also with TMT there some movies it didn't play nice with so I would have to put it in my PS3 to watch it. I haven't run into that yet with Powerdvd.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, I use MPC-HC for 2D playback anyway because it can use the Smooth Video Project addon to double the framerate. (well worth a try http://www.svp-team.com/)
It needs a good CPU.

This also installs Reclock which plays audio with WASAPI, bypassing the Windows audio mixer for purer sound.
I mainly use TMT for 3D.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, I use MPC-HC for 2D playback anyway because it can use the Smooth Video Project addon to double the framerate. (well worth a try http://www.svp-team.com/)
It needs a good CPU.

This also installs Reclock which plays audio with WASAPI, bypassing the Windows audio mixer for purer sound.
I mainly use TMT for 3D.

I have a i5 2500k will that be enough?

Yeah, thats what I'm using clocked to 4.4GHz.
A friend tried his 2500K at stock speed and it worked very well playing some of his Blu Ray rips, but I didnt see it play an original Blu Ray disk.

Its a bit higher to get the best from Smooth Video Project.

It has its own installers that use good default options.

Back