Best online/hard drive backup options?

AMD T-type

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm working on a write up for my end users for best methods to back up their data.

We've recently had a few data losses at a client and in every case it was desktop items or outlook archives that were lost because the user assumed everything and anything is backed up by "the server"

In short, I'm looking for two, simple, easy to use options for end users
Two things I'm looking for from this thread are:

1) Good online backup solutions

2a) Good backup software that comes pre-installed on a usb hard drive (Seagate, WD, Lacie, etc)

2b) Good backup software in general

For 1, pay/subscription based options are fine, and for 2b, free would be preferred but if it costs a little bit would be fine as well.

I'm well aware of decent backup solutions that we tech people would use, but I consider most of them to require at least some PC knowledge.
What i'm looking for is the easiest possible solutions for end users that is easy to understand and simple.

Thanks all

I think Crashplan is easy, with some minor guidance I think most end users would be able to install it without any trouble.

Edit: Al thought this seems to be easy to solve from the staff side, teach them what and when things get backed up so they won't have to assume anything. If they need personal space for desktop items give them each a share called "Backup"?

Crashplan is very easy to use and works well. It can back up to the cloud for money, to other computers and usb drives for free. Restoring files is very easy.

I use it to back up important data on my NAS to the cloud, costs me $50 for unlimited. I store about 170G with them. Encrypted, compressed and de-duplicated.

The only thing I wish it suported was a way to mount backups in the filesystem and then share them out over the local network. This would make restoring files much easier.

StoreGrid is NOT simple for end users... i run a storegrid server in-house for backing up my clients data to, i tried their freebie home use software and never got it working and gave up.

You give us no information about your end users.

My suggestion is that they hire a tech to come in on a regular basis and do a backup.

Back