Best Off The Shelf HTPC With Blu-Ray?

• Thread starter Deleted member 233889
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 233889

Fro the non technical users do you guys have any recommendations for the best off the shelf HTPC with Blu-Ray?

Assume price is no object.

Get this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856158025
I have one that's very similar, and it's pretty much silent with a tiny footprint. You will need to install an OS and BR software though.

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.asp?Model=Vision 3D Series (Sandy Bridge)#Specifications

The new ones have Sandy Bridge in them. How much power and heat savings do I get over the last generation models? Obviously this is the 3D version but you get the point.

Can't get much smaller than the Lenovo Q180, I have one and it's pretty nice. Atom CPU, but the GPU is actually pretty beefy, plus I don't think they get much smaller than that. Works great with Plex.

Anandtech had a review of them.

Interesting read. There's a couple of reviews using Google as well. I'd buy a V3D right now if only it came with a 128 SSD standard and support for the W8 CP. After using Metro I cannot go back.

What is your intended use of the HTPC? The Ceton Q looks very interesting and may or may not fit your needs. It is not your traditional HTPC however and has not been released yet. It is more of a DVR on steroids that plays blu-rays. I would expect it however to work very well especially for those who are not technical.

What is your intended use of the HTPC? The Ceton Q looks very interesting and may or may not fit your needs. It is not your traditional HTPC however and has not been released yet. It is more of a DVR on steroids that plays blu-rays. I would expect it however to work very well especially for those who are not technical.

I intend to use it for everything. It replaces an aging laptop and older Blu-Ray player. It gets hooked into the back of my baby: A Samsung 6420 3D 40 LED.

These guys are highly reviewed:

Assassinhtpc.com

They tout being the best out of the box htpcs available.

If price was no object, I'd want a Mac Mini w/external BD drive, and a copy of Windows.

Assassinhtpc.com

I would definitely let Assassin build my HTPC if I weren't going to do it myself. His guides and the feedback he gives to DIY builders over on the AVSforum are a tremendous resource for the HTPC community. I have not seen any internal pictures of his builds though so I could not comment on any customization they perform such as cabling or cooling. After reviewing his site, it looks like you can even have XBMC or WMC pre-installed for a fee which could be a huge issue for those who truly don't want to deal with any configuration at all after they purchase their pre built. Configuring XBMC isn't that difficult but there can definitely be some frustration involved depending on components and configuring your remote is sometimes a huge pain. None of the off the shelf PC vendors are going to be able to provide that or the level of support you would get with him.

Last edited:
I've got an ASROCK Core 100HT-BD, which was the model before Sandy Bridge models were released, and I'm totally happy with mine. Installed 64GB SSD, a 1gb HDD on it, run Win7 and XBMC on it and runs great. Doesn't use much power at all and virtually silent(well, I can't hear anything, and its right below my TV). The new Sandy Bridge ones would be even more judicious with power usage especially during idle periods.

Design / space savings / quietness, probably.

edit - you wouldn't get lossless audio so that's a big minus.

Last edited:
Not the first time I've heard that. If I may? Why?

I find this odd as well. In my experience and with most people I've spoken too, it would appear as if the Mac Mini lacks in almost every category.

I used one for about 2 months and had lots of issues with different file types not playing.

Wonder what I was doing wrong?

Don't waste your time with the overpriced under componented stuff posted here so far without also checking out this guys stuff. His support before and after the sale is above the rest.
http://assassinhtpc.com/
http://assassinhtpcblog.com/

Indeed. Ultimately I think I'll go with them. I've spent the better part of the day emailing back an forth. Seem like outstanding folks. However until they move to Ivy Bridge, I'll wait. I'm only doing this once.

Back