Best non-PC case for modding - Apple, SGI, or another?

SpasticTeapot

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to build my next PC into a non-PC case. I've currently got a PowerMac G4 case I might be able to use (I'd replace the G4 applique on the side with C2D), but I'm very tempted to go with a SGI O2 due to the small size, cool design, and relative ease of installation. (It also looks to be a very good solution for cooling.)

What do you think I should try?

I have always wanted to make a system out of one of the old Sun SPARC 10 pizza-box style cases, but I can never seem to find one. Those cases seem like they would be nice for a Linux router project with the right motherboard.

penguin said:
NeXT cubes are hawt, but pretty hard to come by nowadays.

NeXT Cubes... Man, those bring back memories.

Years ago, I used to work for a consulting/professional services firm that performed all of the hardware and network maintenance for Lotus back when they were still a big deal. In the Rogers Street building, there were stacks of NeXT Cubes that had been used to develop the NeXT version of 1-2-3 and then were quickly abandoned. Every time I see a mod involving one of those cases, I kick myself for not grabbing a few of those systems when they were disposed of.

Yes, I am showing my age. I was there prior to the release of Windows 95, so I got to live through the days of supporting the "Chicago" beta for the programmers working on 1-2-3 for Windows. Their whole network was Novell Netware and OS/2. Ahh... the good old days. :)

mps said:
I have always wanted to make a system out of one of the old Sun SPARC 10 pizza-box style cases, but I can never seem to find one. Those cases seem like they would be nice for a Linux router project with the right motherboard.

You're right - that might be nifty. Sure, they're not the snazziest case, but they're hard to beat for covenience!

Any other thoughts?

here's an idea i had once --

stick a mATX 'puter inside the case of a zerox machine. Bonus points if it still works afterwards :D

Maybe a home Printer/Scanner/Copier would do.

There was an older Apple product that I saw, likely a precursor to the iMac (those bubble looking ones in the fruity colors?)... except the ones I waw were 19" screens and beige. Definately Macs though....

How about the SGI Tezro?

TezroWS_fcLF-cmyk.jpg

:D

When I get a chance, I'm planning on picking up my parents' old iMac (the original!), gutting it, and sticking all-new (PC) hardware in it. It's been done a few times, but the case design is good, and would make a great LAN rig.

Mohonri said:
When I get a chance, I'm planning on picking up my parents' old iMac (the original!), gutting it, and sticking all-new (PC) hardware in it. It's been done a few times, but the case design is good, and would make a great LAN rig.

It'd certainly never get pinched. What, you're going to take the of-dubious-social-status iMac, or the beastly hotbox SilverStone?

You'd probably also have to deal with people seeing you, seeing it, and then quietly s!!!!!!ing to themselves.

alan.p said:
It'd certainly never get pinched. What, you're going to take the of-dubious-social-status iMac, or the beastly hotbox SilverStone?
By "all-new", I didn't mean "most-recent, top-of-the-line"--I meant "new to this case" PC hardware. :) Who'd want brand-new hardware with a maximum screen resolution of 1280x1024? Besides, there's a huge price difference between a free iMac and a new Silverstone case. And the challenge of modding
will be fun :cool:

e420s look like any easy mod to x86.. loads of space for cooling

mj007 said:
How about the SGI Tezro?

:D

The problem is that most of the people who own Tezros are more likely to fix them than part 'em out. Awesome case, though.

I might just get an old SGI 320 workstation - they're actually just standard PCs, and I think they use a standard ATX motherboard. That's not to say, though, that they are'nt built to SGI's high standards of quality - their cases put almost anyone else's to shame.

The SGI cases are nice, but the people selling them are off their rocker..... wanting $300+ for ancient hardware.

I have a Crimson case,with Reality Engine,and two Indigo2's in my parents basement I picked up from the local Uni in the late 90's,as I was looking to mod them for pc's,but never got around to it.One day I'll do it when I have some free time.

I've done both the apple g4 and the sgi and the sgi is definitly much harder. The case is far smaller and has no real transferable bits. Cooling is also a bit of an issue as it has not a lot of space for fans etc.

I love the O2 case I still have it in the loft, the g4 went ages ago.

My SGI log: http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/silicon.htm (Also check out mashie's one on mashie.org)

Apple G4 log: http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/badapple.htm

I'm just modding G3 case. I recommend Asus p5l-mx mobo, it doesn't need any extensive modding to the case. Already bought everything: E6400, 2GB/667 ram, X1900XT and 2x 320GB sata disks. Won't change the G3 sticker, because I want to retain the original look, except the front apple, which will get light up with led or EL strip.

Back