Best NF2 400 board?

Well, I Have my semi modern system that needs updating (mobo wise) specs as follows

Leadtek K7NCR18-D mobo (NF 2)
Athlon XP 2100+ tbred
Radeon 9500 Pro
Antec 350 Watt p/s

the item that I really want/need to update is the motherboard, seeing as one of the capacitors is beginning to swell up, and i have really grown tired of some of the current limitations imposed upon my oc results as the multiplier is unable to be changed on my current mobo.

So i was mainly looking at getting either the abit NF7-S 2.0, The DFI lanparty NF2 400, The asus A7N8X or the A7N8X-E

My main requirements are that the board is under $150, has a good built in ethernet port/audio/usb, and 2+ SATA ports, and that the bios has all of the standard overclocking options.

so if any of these are to be avoided, or there is anything else I need to know, i would be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. ( and yes I have read reviews for most of these boards, I just wanted some more personal help)

thanks

man how many times can this be asked? Ok, here is a point of clarification: the NForce 2 400 and the Nforce 2 Ultra 400 are different chipsets. From what you are writing you want the Ultra. The ultra has the dual memory bus while the standard 400 has the old fashioned single memory bus. What is the major difference? YOu must buy matching memory sticks to get the dual bus and you gain about 5% overall performance from the Ultra.
Now as for the discussion, the DFI lanparty might just barely be under $150, and from what I've read the new "B" version rocks. The Asus and Abit boards have excellent reputations as well.
The DFI has what they call raid 1.5 which may be of interest (stripes & backs up the data on two drives instead of 4 needed to usually do that - nice touch - and seems to perform well.)
The lanparty has tons of extras and looks cool in black light in a modded case.
You plan to overclock or not? Also make sure to get good quality memory that matches (you really dont have to pay the extra to get the so called "twin" memory where the sticks are sold together. Just get a good brand, same size and model number.) The new Nf2 U 400's are a bit forgiving in memory compatibility.

Same question gets asked..but each is a little different :)

For overclocking, the Asus is out. It doesn't even have chipset volt selection.

I'd definitely choose the LanParty...because it's a FSB god, and there's no such issue with multipliers & SATA as you would find on the nf7-s

the LanParty is onsale at newegg for $139
the Infinity is exactly the same board and only costs around $90. the Lanparty just has more "lanparty" accessories

ok, your power supply (from a good manufacturer i might add) will be borderline as you will be pulling high wattage for overclocking... I suggest upgrading to the same brand 400 or more watt.

Back