• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best Motherboard

dude, you mean it's not the best motherboard, right? I believe ABIT motherboards are good for overclocking, but can't recommend a chipset... overclocking will depend heavily on your ram too
 
Originally posted by Munka
dude, you mean it's not the best motherboard, right?
thanks for the fix, my bad :D
I am pretty sure i am going to want to get the 875P chipset, but what makes the Abit motherboards so good?
 
Basically I want a motherboard that allows you to control the DDR speed separately from the FSB. I am not sure if that option exists on other boards, but it sucks not having it on mine.
 
IC7 MAX 3 with PC4000 OCZ GOLD.
i got my jammie up to 3.7 before my commie cousin knocked the machine over and like, the watercooling busted nad destroyed it. i was able to rebuild but i havent had time to play with Ocing..
 
Originally posted by ActiveMonkey
Basically I want a motherboard that allows you to control the DDR speed separately from the FSB. I am not sure if that option exists on other boards, but it sucks not having it on mine.

I couldn't imagine that the albatron board doesn't have a divider. That's insane. If you want to use a mem divider for overclocking then don't get the MAX3. IC7's have are fsb limited when 3:2 and 5:4 ratios are implemented. Get the ASUS i say.
 
It has the divider, but when i run my 2.6 @ 3.25 i have to run a 250 FSB. With that if i run my ram with the 1.6 divider i will get DDR400. But if i wanted to go a little higher, i would have to go up to DDR500.
1f-v.JPG

ram_divider.JPG
 
that's how it is with all boards

at 250fsb, you can either have DDR500, DDR400, or DDR333

those are your options

is 250fsb the abolute max for your cpu? if so, then you are stuck at ddr400, which isn't so bad, esp. if you can run good timings.

albatron boards are famous for having great memory overclockability. I don't know what the max vdimm is for that board, but you should try and see if you can pull ddr500 with lax timings and the max voltage you can feed it.
 
Keeping the same FSB as the memory is a good idea. Getting them out of sync will tend to lower your memory scores.
 
What makes a Abit motherboard so good you say? Nothing. I personally can't stand them. I have found them to have to much variance in quality from board to board. I have owned a number of Abit boards in the past and will never own one again.

I had two Abit's AMD Athlon boards in the past. They both sucked hard. I had instability issues and in benchmarks I would get more than 10% variance of performance between tests.

I also had heat issues with the board everytime. I made a switch to an Asus A7-V 133 and all my problems dissapeared.

Abit may have improved over the last couple years or so. But After being burned 5 times on various Abit boards I will never know. Because I will never trust Abit again.

Asus however has never given me any problems. Nor has MSI, Intel or Super Micro.
 
The Max3 has been fantastic so far for me. It has a great array of options, the cooling is second to none. I have my 2.6c running at 3.31 right now w/ a 1:1 divider on my pc4000. The voltage control appears to be rock solid for both the RAM and CPU. No complaints here.
 
IC7-MAX3, especially if you have memory that responds well to high voltage. The newest revision has ironed out many of the kinks inherent in the older versions.
 
Back
Top