Best motherboard for Kentsfield

loafer87gt

Limp Gawd
Looking to put together a new Kentsfield build within the next week and am having a hard time deciding which motherboard to use. I plan on using the machine as a 3d workstation / gaming machine. Ideally, I would like a board that is stable, and still a acapable overclocker. I would also like a board with a good temperature monitoring interface and diagnostic suite. Right now I have an Asus NCCH-DL dual 604 Xeon board and it really bugs me not being able easily monitor my CPU and other system component temps. SLI would also be nice, allowing me the option to add in a second 8800GTX down the road. Just wondering what boards you guys would recommend to best fit my needs?

I have yet to see a review of the 680i board with a quadcore Q6700, and the high MCP and the insanely high bridge temps reported by some worry me as the manchine will frequently be churning away for days at a time at 100% load rendering animation frames. The short list for boards I have right now are the Asus P5W-64Pro and the Intel Bad Axe 2 975 series of boards. From what I understand, with the unlocked multipliers found on the extreme edition series of CPU's, the high FSB limitation of the 975 chipset becomes less of an issue than with the Allendale chips. So far, however, there seems to be very little info or reviews on the BX2 boards, so it is tough to compare the two boards.

Are there any other boards I should be looking at? What are your guys thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any info...

Just checking to see if anyone on here has sprung for a QX6700 and if so, what boards they are using. I am still torn trying to figure out which board to go with here. I wish there was some more in depth reviews of the Bad Axe, comparing to boards such as the older P5W and P5W-64WS to see how it stacks up against Asus's offerings.

I have the EVGA 680i board and my kentsfield is on it's way. I was expecting it today, but it shipped later than I wanted. I will post results when I get it up and running.

Back