Best/Most Effective Firewall/Router Suggestions?

I'm in immediate need of any/all suggestions as to what is the best security option for a firewall.

Can you guys recommend some hardware in terms of routers/firewalls that will be used on only one PC (not running a network), that's user friendly, will not interfere with gaming (I'm a hardcore gamer) and that's actually reliable?

Just reformatted both of my hard drives, and am not "going" anywhere (i.e. wife or my banking online etc.) of "importance" until I can get set up with a new situation here.

Like others, I've been running ZoneAlarm which, though having some great features (like password encryption, stealth mode, blocking keyloggers and backdoor attemps, blocking all banner ads from websites, blocking cookies very effectively etc.) is also a real pain to deal with and a system hog (though I've a high-end system, still...) and has interfered with some gaming and other apps.

I've been looking into hardware, but most routers alone do not offer enough. There are router/firewall units that are routers with firewall protections, some even boasting of being able to block key loggers (a major concern), cookies etc.

If I can find a router/firewall that actually does the same things, without causing any problems, that'd be great.

Please, any and all info/recommendations are welcome and needed as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

I'm in immediate need of any/all suggestions as to what is the best security option for a firewall.

Microsofts ISA Server.

Juniper, Sonicwall, Fortinet, they all make some pretty beefy hardware appliance firewalls also.

In all seriousness..what is your budget? You say "Best"...but do you have the budget for "the best"?

Is this enterprise, small business, home?

For home..think about building a *nix router that has Endian, or IPCop with the Copfilter add-on. You'll get some enterprise grade UTM (Unified Threat Management) features...of applianes that can cost easily over 10 grand...but the linux distros are free, and you use a slightly older PC to install them on. Antivirus/spam/anti-malware scanning of traffic done right at the router itself.

I meant the "best", in terms of the best solution for a home PC (some business is taken care of from home, but not running full-out from home) that would do the job of keeping my system secure, do comparable things (but better) to what ZA was doing and be reliable.

What is a "*nix" router?

I've seen a few Sonicwall systems on Newegg. Would it be best to just go with a hardware firewall, and not necessarily a router?

Would just a router alone provide any protection, as I've heard before? Do they all at least use NAT?

There are certain routers that provide more protection than others, looking at the specs of certain things.

...and budget right now has to be reasonable. I don't need a $3k unit.

I'm not really familiar with using hardware firewalls, so as I've said, it needs to be effective but user-friendly and non-intrusive in terms of gaming, which my rig is mainly intended for, though some other things are also done from home.

So, could definitely use more feedback.
I'm stuck with Windows firewall until then, which is a joke.

Thanks.

Anyone?

I just need a suggestion and info on a good router at least that provides decent protection, even if in terms of keeping my system hidden enough from the outside. Though some integrated anti-spyware etc. would also be nice.

With all the people here, others must have suggestions, so please drop a line.

It doesn't have to be ultra-high-end, just good enough for one PC (maybe two down the line) and provide good, non-intrusive protection and be reliable.

Back