Best Monitor for Watching Movies?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Peat Moss, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Peat Moss

Peat Moss Limp Gawd

I am looking to get a second monitor strictly for watching movies. No games, no office work, just movies.

Size: 32"
    Resolution: 1080p or 4K
    Budget: $600.

Questions:

1. For movies, what would be the best type of panel to look for? IPS, PLS, or VA?

2. I am only going to be watching blu-ray movies (1080p), so would it be better (PQ wise) to get a native 1080p monitor? Does scaling on a 4K monitor soften a 1080p image? I want the best, sharpest 1080p image.

3. Or would it be better just to get a 32" TV and connect it to my PC?

2. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

3. Baenwort

Baenwort Limp Gawd

For $600 you might be able to catch one of the BenQ Professional video editing monitors on refurbished. They tend to have good uniformity and are well calibrated for the color space of BDs.

This is a segment that doesn't get much attention any longer. There are some 3000:1 contrast ratio monitors out there that might hit your price point. You won't find an OLED for that price.

4. Peat Moss

Peat Moss Limp Gawd

Thanks, not really looking for an OLED anyway.

Still looking for any answers to my questions.

5. Baenwort

Baenwort Limp Gawd

6. XoR_

XoR_ Limp Gawd

I usually watch movies on HP LP2480zx. A bit small but picture quality is excellent due to it being hardware calibrated professional display without any viewing angle issues.
    Good option, if a bit unusual, is getting VR headset and watch moves in virtual reality. Seriously, the effect is awesome as is color quality (given you get headset with OLED display like Oculus Rift or HTC Vive)

7. Peat Moss

Peat Moss Limp Gawd

Don't VA panels crush blacks more than IPS panels? Also, what about the scaling issue on 4k monitors for watching 2k movies?

8. Baenwort

Baenwort Limp Gawd

Bad or no calibration VA panels crush. That is why you need a hardware calibrated panel. The BenQ I mention is just the 4K version. You might be able to find a NIB old stock monitor that is less than 4k but all the editing displays are 4K now.

The reason I keep pushing the video editing monitors as these are the displays they make those movies on and they come pre calibrated and configure to provide a good experience for this one use case.

9. Peat Moss

Peat Moss Limp Gawd

And what about the scaling issue of watching 2K content on a 4K monitor?

10. GNUse_the_force

GNUse_the_force Limp Gawd

From my experience VA panels are really nice to watch video on. Specifically AHVA-IPS.

11. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

AHVA is actually an IPS-type panel, not VA.

VA = Vertical Alignment (panel type)
    IPS = In-Plane Switching (panel type)
    AHVA = "Advanced Hyper Viewing Angle" (AU Optronics' name for their own version of an IPS-type panel)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:41 PM
  12. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

You won't notice this for movies. Video scales far, far more transparently than say text.

13. Peat Moss

Peat Moss Limp Gawd

Is there any softening of the image?

If you play a 2K movie at 1080p on a 4K monitor, does it significantly shrink the size of the picture?