Best monitor for ~$350?

JoeUser

2[H]4U
Just bought a used Alienware 3D display and Nvidia 3D Vision 2 here on the forums and already thinking of getting something else.

I DO love 3D but the monitor itself is pretty low-end (so-so colors and contrast and pretty noticeable backlight bleeding). So I am looking at getting a standard higher end PC monitor.

Was thinking about either the Asus ProArt series or maybe a LG 32LK450? My desk is massive (6ft x 3ft) so anything large will work (was actually using a 40" TV before the Alienware and loved the size, but it was crap quality picture wise).

So I'm thinking anything 24" to 32" range and preferrably IPS or something quality. That's why I'm considering ProArt or the LG TV (IPS 4:4:4).

Budget is ~$350 or there abouts ($400 max). Give me some good suggestions people! Remember, keep it [H]ard!

Yeah I saw those monitors but the varying conditions at which they come (dead/stuck pixels, dust/dirt under the screen, etc) made me say no. That and the resolution is insane. I don't need that much area nor does my video card...only running 1.5GB here people! That would absolutely KILL performance.

I like running games at max settings at 60fps+!

Lately the korean monitors have been coming to people without those issues, but of course it can all change at any given moment.

+1 for the Korean LCDs. Actually, +5. I convinced 4 other friends in real life to buy them and they all arrived in perfect condition.

Get one without glass to avoid the potential for dust under the glass.

I don't understand why anybody would consider spending $300 on a TN lcd with 1920x1080 resolution.
That's just absurd when you can have an IPS with 2560x1440!

+1 for the Korean LCDs. Actually, +5. I convinced 4 other friends in real life to buy them and they all arrived in perfect condition.

Get one without glass to avoid the potential for dust under the glass.

I don't understand why anybody would consider spending $300 on a TN lcd with 1920x1080 resolution.
That's just absurd when you can have an IPS with 2560x1440!

OK...again, its still a risk I'm not willing to take and AGAIN the resolution is too big a performance hit. I stated this like two posts up :rolleyes:

Cheap or not, I can't afford the upgrades needed to run games maxed out @ 1440p and can't afford to have a bonk monitor.

SO any recommendations for a monitor that IS NOT 27", 1440p, and made in Korea?

You can still run 1080p on a 1440p monitor in games...

Those monitors really are the hot shiznit right now.

How well do your eyes deal with heavy AG coating on IPS screens? There are several options if you are fine with it, but otherwise I'd probably recommend something like the Samsung PLS (which is a tad above your $400 pricerange) -- if, you can find one without backlight bleed, that is.

There is also the 23" Eizo variant using the same panel. I've seen that for sale at around $450ish (not sure if it's still available at that price... they usually go for more).

There is also that semi-glossy Asus IPS screen that just came out too, but it may be a bit small, at 23". I'm not sure if there are any proper reviews out on it yet, however. There are a couple of VA options available too, but not sure if you are okay with VA .... Samsung 650 may be the best one, based on reviews so far... comes in 24" and 27" flavors.

That and the resolution is insane. I don't need that much area nor does my video card...only running 1.5GB here people! That would absolutely KILL performance.

I like running games at max settings at 60fps+!

Next time say "Remember, keep it oft" lol :)

Joking aside, i would also consider the Dell U2412M or the new or old HP ZR24 models, those three should all be under your max of $400.

3 quick IPS recommendations in your budget range ($350-400):

ASUS PA248Q

NEC LCD2490WUXi2 I'd get this if I were you. This is like the fabled NEC LCD2490WUXi, just without the A-TW Polarizer: review

HP ZR2440w and a review

All three monitors are 24". The ASUS and HP monitors have LED backlighting (if you really like energy conservation).

The HP monitor has some of the lowest input lag of any of the IPS displays. It is also worth noting that their warranty program on 'business class' products like the ZR series displays is one of the best in the industry.

How well do your eyes deal with heavy AG coating on IPS screens? There are several options if you are fine with it, but otherwise I'd probably recommend something like the Samsung PLS (which is a tad above your $400 pricerange) -- if, you can find one without backlight bleed, that is.

There is also the 23" Eizo variant using the same panel. I've seen that for sale at around $450ish (not sure if it's still available at that price... they usually go for more).

There is also that semi-glossy Asus IPS screen that just came out too, but it may be a bit small, at 23". I'm not sure if there are any proper reviews out on it yet, however. There are a couple of VA options available too, but not sure if you are okay with VA .... Samsung 650 may be the best one, based on reviews so far... comes in 24" and 27" flavors.

VA, IPS, PVA, MVA, TN...I know the difference but not THAT well.

I mean, I know I stated IPS in my original post...but all I'm really looking for is the best color/contrast...the technology behind whatever the panel really isn't an issue. Same with backlighting as I know LED is "the thing" now, but I DO know that CCFL can be just as nice if not better...that much I know.

I'll look at the monitors listed here...but again, just to be clear, technology or type of panel doesn't matter...its color and deep rich blacks that I care about. And I say that ~$400 is my max, but I can stretch it a bit further if its really needed.

Thanks guys! Loving the answers so far!

If you want the best contrast and deep blacks, VA is really your only choice. It'll be subjective of course, as IPS in a well lit room can provide acceptable blacks. But if you really want deep blacks, IPS doesn't handle that well.

Back