best modular powersupply?

Tunabow

[H]ard|Gawd
Im looking for a good modular power supply as I think it would be a little too difficult for me to make one of my own. What would you recommend as the best modular psu? I saw the anctec neopower modular for 149 which seems a bit high to me. Im just tired of having to buy a new psu everytime I make a big switch because all my wires are made to exact length of my system.

I love my ModStream520W, although I'm eager to see their upcoming 650W model. I should say, though, that you should check how many of the cables you'll actually use. My case has everything in use except the SATA and PEG connectors, so I would have been better off without a modular supply.

I recomend the Antec Neopower, specially at a price of $89.99, you could even find it cheaper in the Hot Deals forum. The OCZ Modstream is also a good PSU, but is a lil short on the 12V rail, if I remember it was 24A or 26A on the 12V, but I have the Antec Neopower and I really like it, it was great for a first build and its rock stable.

Hexus0 said:
I recomend the Antec Neopower, specially at a price of $89.99, you could even find it cheaper in the Hot Deals forum. The OCZ Modstream is also a good PSU, but is a lil short on the 12V rail, if I remember it was 24A or 26A on the 12V, but I have the Antec Neopower and I really like it, it was great for a first build and its rock stable.
Antec's is also a great PSU. OCZ's has more bling to it because of its glowing fan, but Hexus0 is right- it only pulls 28A vs. Antec's 15/18A split-rail. The NeoPower is therefore better suited to run SLI/multi-core systems, since that extra ~60W reserve comes in handy.
However, the Mod450 is available for $75 at Monarch, in addition to a $10 rebate. For $25 less, its 26A/12V rating isn't much worse. For cheap modular, I'd recommend it over the Antec, hands-down. For a more flexible budget, it depends on your priorities.

Along the lines of the Neopower, the Smartpower 2.0 is also a modular design. Not sure of the cost, but if you need a few more watts, or like dual fans as opposed to the single larger fan, it's an idea.

As for the neopower, I second it. I have one, and love it.

-Ghent

Don't get the "ultra" series powersupplies. I bought one on a whim when it first came out... hasn't died for me yet, but it's only a matter of time. Personally, my money is on the antec. Just had really good luck with them in the past.

-q

Tunabow said:
I saw the anctec neopower modular for 149 which seems a bit high to me.

I'm not sure if we're looking at the same powersupply, or where you're even pricing it at, but it isn't 150 bucks. I have an Antec NeoPower 480 watt powersupply, and I got it off newegg.com for like 80 bucks, after an instant rebate and then a mail in rebate. Without any sort of sale it is currently $114.00, but I'm sure it will end up on one of those daily sales again.

I use a Hiper Type R 580W Modular PSU - 20/18A on dual 12V Rails

System Specs are in my sig. Runs well for me - £70 (about US$130) - but you could get it cheaper. I needed it in a hurry - old PSU wouldn't handle the system too well!

u can get a PCP&C modular right? i heard that company customizes PSUs to your request for a bit more cash.

chronic9 said:
u can get a PCP&C modular right? i heard that company customizes PSUs to your request for a bit more cash.

maybe not, but if they'll custom build it for you (I'm on my 3rd custom build)...why would you need modular plugs.

Skylark said:
I use a Hiper Type R 580W Modular PSU - 20/18A on dual 12V Rails

System Specs are in my sig. Runs well for me - £70 (about US$130) - but you could get it cheaper. I needed it in a hurry - old PSU wouldn't handle the system too well!

My vote goes to the Hiper Type R 580W Modular PSU also................. :D It replaced my Antec 480 after it died ............ :eek:

329mr.jpg

It's cable system lets you make the cables as long or as short as you want/need them.

I've got a SmartPower 2.0 500W in my P180 case. It is a pretty nice PSU, comes with modular sleeved cables (though not as pretty as the above pics :eek: ), runs quiet if you have good airflow to it so both fans don't have to speed up. But if it was for a case that didn't have a big fan blowing on the PSU like the P180, I'd go with the Neopower instead.

I'm using a 450w ocz modstream...26a on 12v rail. Working great and mirror finish looks sweet in the case...very happy with it so far

the point of getting a modular for me is to save modding time. Instead of cutting into the psu wires like i do for my powersupply I can just throw one of the modules on there and make it to the custom length. Then when I get a new upgrade I dont have to do a ton of modding to change my wiring scheme. The price of 150 i got off frozencpu, im amazed that they jack their prices so high.

That's the same system I'm pushing with my hiper.............. :eek: Rails are solid and handles OC's just fine................... :D Someone needs to update their PSU list.................. :cool:

I will be going for a dual core 4400 and a geforce GTX or if ATI comes up with their offering in the next 3 months or less.

Bio-Hazard said:
That's the same system I'm pushing with my hiper.............. :eek: Rails are solid and handles OC's just fine................... :D Someone needs to update their PSU list.................. :cool:

Depends on which list......but all the lists are unofficial. However, I doubt any of the authors will update their list until they get a competant review of the unit ;)

i have the antec smartpower 2.0 500w and it works great for me. runs really quiet and to this day hasnt given me any problems...which is more than i could say about my ultra, which overheated and died on me in less than a month of use...

Spectre said:
Depends on which list......but all the lists are unofficial. However, I doubt any of the authors will update their list until they get a competant review of the unit ;)
And in the case of DFI-Street, a few dozen happy campers. ;)

The Hiper Type R 480W & 580W are on the "recommended" list,
but not the "A" list, that will take some more user & expert experience with these PSU's.

Back