Best method, IDE or SATA for boot drive?

Sparkyy

[H]ard|Gawd
Buliding a new server and my current server has a raptor 36gb as the boot drive, great drive no problems at all with it but I have it plugged directly on to the mobo. However I am looking at using a P3 mobo for my next build and all it has is IDE.

Now if I go with the raptor on the P3 mobo then I would have to hook it up to my 3ware 9500s card in order to use it, which will also be housing my 5 x 1TB drives in RAID 5, or should I just toss in an IDE 40gb so I don't have to use the drivers for the hard drive to be seen and call it a day?

Does the boot drive speed determine much on a server? :confused:

Get a SATA to IDE converter. I used a spare 74GB Raptor on one at work with no difference in transfer speeds.

Does the boot drive speed determine much on a server? :confused:
I think it rather depends on what OS you're using and what you'll be doing with the server - if for instance it's just a glorified NAS, I can't see it making much difference. A P3 system will likely be CPU-limited anyway for most tasks (a 1GHz P3 I use in a FreeNAS box maxes out at 100% CPU usage doing FTP transfers over GbE), and it seems a bit of a waste of a Raptor (even an "old" one).

If I were you I'd keep things simple, use your 40GB PATA drive as the boot/OS drive, leave the 3ware array purely for data and call it good. :)

Back