Best method for streaming HD movies from PC to TV?

equalme

Gawd
So I've been out of the loop for a while and sold my PS3 which I used briefly to stream media to my TV. It never really worked out that great..I guess streaming via 802.11g wasn't enough.

Are there any equipment intended solely for stream media from PC to TV? Cheap and functional is what I'm looking for please.

FYI. I had a HTPC a few years back and it was just too much equipment for what I needed.

Thanks,
Anthony

Regardless of what you use, forget about wireless for streaming HD content. Just go with a hard line.

Wired should always be used #1. But N is able to stream 1080p with DTS np. Granted the signal is strong.

Use a media server/streamer...too bad they ALL have one problem or another. The media streaming field is in it's infancy, so expect to be disappointed....but, some are better than others.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39

The cheapest way, that's functional, is the Seagate FreeAgent/GoFlex, for $40 - $50. The most expensive way, the sky is the limit.

Last edited:
Use a media server/streamer...too bad they ALL have one problem or another. The media streaming field is in it's infancy, so expect to be disappointed....but, some are better than others.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39

The cheapest way, that's functional, is the Seagate FreeAgent/GoFlex, for $40 - $50. The most expensive way, the sky is the limit.

Thanks!

Looking into the WD Live Hub and D-Link Boxee Box.

Boxee Box is getting lots of praise but its a bit more expensive than similar solutions that can do most of the same things. But with Boxee you get a slick interface which compared to most of the others which are stale and slow is worth the extra cash if you plan to spend a lot of time using it.

The remote for the Boxee Box is probably the biggest downside , its just arranged in an odd fashion that many don't seem to crazy about. Considering the D-pad is on the opposite side its ease to accidentally hit it and cause the cursor to go nuts and knock you out of the current menu. Its a minor beef but for some people controllers can make or break media streaming boxes.

Of course a real HTPC is still king but I can understand why for certain folks its a bit beyond what they need. But if you start spending 250+ bucks then you should really consider building a low budget one that can be customized exactly how you want it.

Boxee Box is getting lots of praise but its a bit more expensive than similar solutions that can do most of the same things. But with Boxee you get a slick interface which compared to most of the others which are stale and slow is worth the extra cash if you plan to spend a lot of time using it.

The remote for the Boxee Box is probably the biggest downside , its just arranged in an odd fashion that many don't seem to crazy about. Considering the D-pad is on the opposite side its ease to accidentally hit it and cause the cursor to go nuts and knock you out of the current menu. Its a minor beef but for some people controllers can make or break media streaming boxes.

Of course a real HTPC is still king but I can understand why for certain folks its a bit beyond what they need. But if you start spending 250+ bucks then you should really consider building a low budget one that can be customized exactly how you want it.

Yeah I went the HTPC route a few years back and ended up spending close to $600 for stuff I didn't even need or use.

I basically wanted something small, simple, and portable.

Both the WD TV Live Hub and Boxee Box are similar in price other than one having a internal 1TB HD and the other a Atom processor.

Back