• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best Memory Choice for SABERTOOTH X58

rmachin

n00b
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
3
I have this motherboard:

SABERTOOTH X58

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/SABERTOOTH_X58/#specifications

I have this RAM:

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

I have this CPU:

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

I would like to upgrade the RAM to 12 GB or 24, money is not an issue, I want performance , if possible DDR3 1866. My worries is that based on a yahoo post:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110813103029AAu3nPi

and the manual of the motherboard, you cant benefit or maybe even run the DDR3 1866 modules. I am ready to buy yet am afraid that the parts will not even work, based on what I've read, that the CPU cannot use it anyways, and the manual basically says that i cant run the 6 memory modules at 1866 . At this time am considering two kits of DDR3 1866 Mushkin ridgeback redline.

Your advise and notes will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
 
Officially the i7 950 supports DDR3 1066 RAM max although in most cases the overclock of running DDR3 1600 will work fine.
http://ark.intel.com/products/37150...cessor-(8M-Cache-3_06-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI)

the manual of the motherboard, you cant benefit or maybe even run the DDR3 1866 modules.

The manual of the motherboard was written years before DDR3 1866 memory existed. Although I would not bother with it since it can cause you stability problems especially when using all 6 slots. In most cases I today (for Intel processors) I would get 1.5V DDR3 1600 memory and call it a day. There have been countless reviews showing that it does not benefit much in the real world to go faster than that.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top