Best mATX case

I'm building an matx system and I'm using the SG01 and I love it. Its a beautiful case with awesome build quality. I've heard that temps run higher in this case but nothing a little watercooling won't take care of. :D

Fanatik said:
I'm building an matx system and I'm using the SG01 and I love it. Its a beautiful case with awesome build quality. I've heard that temps run higher in this case but nothing a little watercooling won't take care of. :D

Yup, i just got my SG01 today and already i lovez it.

i like the CM centurion 541, and it would probably offer better airflow, but it has a bigger footprint than what i would want in a sff system

I couldn't find any other section to put this in(couldn't just find a normal "case" section), but I'm not exacctly looking for a SFF system. Any mATX will work, just need one with good airflow.

I think that if you want a true "SFF" cube style of case and cost is a concern, then the Qpack would be your best bet. The Centurion is cheaper, but if you can handle the footprint it presents (or don't have a burning desire to own a cube style case) than you might as well get a mid tower case and an ATX MB. If the budget is not a limitation and you have to have that cube style case, go ahead and get the SG01. The looks and fit and finish are enough to warrant the price. I doubt you will have cooling issues with any of the three.

I've heard that the Qpack's power supply is one of the crappiest ever made, true? Something about it being rated for 420W but can't even push 200W (don't remember the exact numbers though).

I just bought a matx mobo and now i'm looking for a case to put it in, so buying a new mobo is out of the question. The SG01 is out of my price range unfortunately, so that's out. I'm not looking for a SFF form, just something that would perform well.

The qpack seems to be popular, I was just concerned about it only have 1 fan. And no, I won't be using the psu that comes with it, I have my own.

ScreamingBroccoli, why do you say the qpack is better? I've heard this at other forums too, but the coolermaster seems as if it would have better cooling.

Going to sleep....continue to post please, need suggestions.

the centurion is nice, but the qpack is as good as a true sff can get. sure the psu sucks, but it doesn't take much to replace it with a better one. i was debating between the qpack and the sg01 just a little over a week ago. i already had a psu to put in it and price was no object. in the end i went with the qpack because, it has a 120mm fan, a 3.5 external bay slot, runs cooler, runs quieter, and from numerous reports is a lot easier to work with than with the sg01 case. that and its pretty cheap on newegg for the black windowless version.

the mini-tower is not a SFF but a mini-tower.

The qpack barely qualifies as a SFF because of its size.

Steeeeve said:

Well in that dcase, the SG901 isnt an dgg wither. So your saying that nothing out today is a sff?

*sigh* Alright, plain and simple right here, *****I do not care if it's "true" SFF*****. There was no "case" section so I put this thread here becase I'm looking for a mATX case, *any* mATX case, not just cubical.

kevin_tsoi2000 said:
What would you guys say the best mATX case would be? I've been looking at the aspire x-qpack and the COOLER MASTER Centurion 541. I just need something that will give me good airflow and support mATX. Thanks guys.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119088
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144162

Q-Packs run remarkably cool for so small a case. And while they are bigger than a Shuttle will fit quite a few drives.
The power supply may or may not be adequate depending on what you want to put in it. Also many of the power supply complaints may be due to the fact that the on/off switch on some units touches the chassis and causes a momentary short. The fix is to wrap the prongs with e-tape and just takes a minute.

Rickman

Steeeeve said:

SFF does not mean square.:rolleyes: SFF means small form factor, cases that support mATX motherboards.
You think [H] would make a forum section for just tiny square boxes?
No, this "Small Form Factor Systems" sub-forum is for mATX parts and designs. Just take a look at the threads.

Some people really need to get over this Shuttle is the only SFF thing. :rolleyes:

Next system I build for the office will be a Centurion 541, sort of as a test build. I'd like to do a SG01, but the price point on the 541 is very nice and I'd rather put the ~$100 into a dual-core chip instead of single for the budget I'm working with. We'll eventually be doing a dozen machines over the next year.

Anyone else look at the Coolermaster case and sit wondering for awhile why the case seemed odd.

It took me about 5 minutes before it hit me that for a tower case, the motherboard is on the other side of the case than I'm used to seeing.

Ominous Gamer said:
SFF does not mean square.:rolleyes: SFF means small form factor, cases that support mATX motherboards.
You think [H] would make a forum section for just tiny square boxes?
No, this "Small Form Factor Systems" sub-forum is for mATX parts and designs. Just take a look at the threads.

Some people really need to get over this Shuttle is the only SFF thing. :rolleyes:

No, SFF means small form factor...I don't think it is determined by motherboard size. In fact, www.sfftech.com doesn't even list the Aspire xpack as SFF although my judgement is that it is the biggest a SFF can get. I think SFF has to be the tiny square boxes..or atleast have the mobo flat on the floor of the case.

However, I think I can start a poll and we will determine on this forum what SFF will be.

Mistrblank said:
Anyone else look at the Coolermaster case and sit wondering for awhile why the case seemed odd.

It took me about 5 minutes before it hit me that for a tower case, the motherboard is on the other side of the case than I'm used to seeing.

nope i noticed it right away :p

i like it and the best thing is the price its cheap if you are doing a sff build on a tight budget

pstang said:
nope i noticed it right away :p

i like it and the best thing is the price its cheap if you are doing a sff build on a tight budget

I like it cause it supports 2 different rad positions, which is going to help a lot when watercooling eVGA's SLI mATX motheboard.

SFF is a moving target. The qpacka and shuttle may be considered sff today, but will be old and busted tomorrow. Something will always come along that is smaller and pushes the limits of what a SFF pc is.

MikeyB said:
SFF is a moving target. The qpacka and shuttle may be considered sff today, but will be old and busted tomorrow. Something will always come along that is smaller and pushes the limits of what a SFF pc is.

Like MiniITX? That pushed the limits of size, but doesnt cross over to the 'SFF' Arena because that form factor doesnt offer enough power for gaming or heavy workloads.

Back OT: I almost bought a CM Centurion mATX case because of the cooling- it seems pretty nice and you can fit a dual 80mm rad back there for some water coolin

Back