Best M.2 2242 drives?

I'm on the fence between picking up a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, and sticking with the PM871 256GB that came in this laptop, and picking up a 2nd M.2 drive to just house VMware machines.

And since that decision now no longer includes "putting my PM871 M.2 in my new desktop" as an option, the chance to save a bunch of money to just put an M.2 in my WWAN slot to house some VMs is rather appealing.

But, whereas finding decent 2280 drives is pretty easy, I'm not sure that I'll find a Samsung drive in 2242. So, with my preferred manufacturer seemingly out of the running, who makes the best 2242 drive? I'd be looking at a 256GB, most likely.

I don't think you'll find a high end 250GB 2242 drive. They are usually the next two physical sizes up. You'll you limited to Transcend/Plextor/Sandisk standard types.

Oh, I knew that. Otherwise I'd have bought a Samsung and moved on. It's not going to be a primary, just a "store VMs" thing. I picked up an ADATA SP600. I hope the controller (JMicron) isn't horrible, but I steadfastly refuse to touch anything SandForce.

Oh, I knew that. Otherwise I'd have bought a Samsung and moved on. It's not going to be a primary, just a "store VMs" thing. I picked up an ADATA SP600. I hope the controller (JMicron) isn't horrible, but I steadfastly refuse to touch anything SandForce.
Hey man,
How is that SP600 working for you? I am facing similiar issue to yours. I only can have 2242 drive and I still could not find any drive above 256GB and not even 256GB and a good performer at the same time.

I know that I just can use 2,5" SSD, but I have a brand new 7200rpm 2TB HDD lying around so I would like to have it for mass storage inside my machine (replacing 500GB 5400rpm that lenovo puts into computers for 1300 USD ;) )

Update:
There is MTS400 512GB Transcend M.2 2242 format. During my research I have read there a double sided and single sided M.2 SSDs. Can not find that information for any SSD. Maybe its bullshit. Do you guys know something about that? From dimension drawings in the MTS400 datasheet one can say MTS400 its double sided.

Last edited:
Back