best low profile card?

schapman

Gawd
I'm looking to upgrade the crappy x1300 thats in my Dell 745 at home.

Needs to be low power and low profile for the chassis. I'm leaning towards the ATI 5570 so far as it's cheap and looks to be a good option.

Anything else I should be looking at that's faster and around the same price?

I've been looking around too. I've got a work computer, a slim Dell Optiplex 330, that only accepts low-profile cards, so I've been thinking of upgrading it.

I'd take a look at the Sparkle Low Profile 9800 GT (@ newegg)

That card seems the most recommended from reading the HP slimline thread on the small factor sub-forum here. I believe it significantly outperforms the newer 5570 in terms of gaming performance, as the 5570 is a HTPC card with light-gaming capability. The better performing 5670 card, while not low-profile, is closer to the 9800GT. Too bad they don't make a low-profile 5670 as I hear it's a great HTPC card (and decent gaming).

The only con about the 9800GT is that you may need to upgrade your PSU. There are some solutions to that, including buying an external PSU, maybe something like this.
Anyway, you might want to check that HP slimline thread as they routinely talk about low-profile cards and solutions on to use the more power-hungry versions. Also if your case is cramped, you might need to ventilate it with fans because of the added heat generated by the videocard.

If you aren't a big gamer and more into HTPC use, then the 5570 should be fine. Although according the the spec sheet, the 5570 requires a 400-watt PSU I think, however you could still try as if you don't put that much of a load on your PSU (intense gaming), then maybe your PSU can handle it.

Your PSU may be the main limiting factor if it's low power, more than the low-profile requirement, so check with Dell's site to find out what kind of PSU you have. If you don't upgrade your PSU internally, or get a booster to put more watts, then you're videocard options will be more limited.

You could also take a look at the 4650 cards, (get the low-profile 128-bit version not the gimpy 64-bit version). It's around $60-ish for 128-bit version, like the one from Sapphire.

Back