• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best low price network?

For folding I'm assuming? Get a card with as many stream processors as you can.

The old model 8800GS (rebadged as a 9600GSO) has 96 SP's and are close to an 8800GT/9800GT (112 SP's) for folding. (roughly 4-5k PPD depending on WUs and shader OC) Be aware though that the newer models of the 9600GSO are crippled with only 1/2 the SP's, only 48.

I believe the G92 8800GTS and the 9800GTX also have 112, but I could be wrong.

EVGA released a dual slot 8800GS which would help on temps; usually 8GS or 9GSO's usually go for around $40 used here in the forums. If you can find an 8GT, GTS, or a 9GT for not too much more, that's even better. I wouldn't go as high as like $65-$70 on one though because then you're not too far from getting a card with double the output like a used GTX 260. Core 216's are better because they have 216 SP's instead of the 192 on the old model, but even the 192's are respectable in output.
 
the GT430 is more along the lines of 6-7k PPD since they changed the benchmarking process.

the best money is the 8800GS and overclocking the shit out of it and running it on the gpu3 client. i'm averaging between 5400-5600 PPD @ 700/1728/1000 and they dont run that hot either. 78C @ 38% fan(auto fan speed).
 
Because he wants a used card the 8800GS sounds awesome and should be quite a bit less than $80. If you can find a GTS 450 or GTX 275 for $80 then that would also be an OK option.
 
Last edited:
I see a lot of 9400GTs on CL, how are those?

Not good for folding - as they have a very limited number of shaders they will struggle to do any meaningful amount of work. In fact there are some Wu out there that these 16 shader cards can't complete
 
Just ask here, were all mad nerds about this stuff. I ran 8800 GS's (4 in one box actually) and they were good. You'll spend probly 40 maybe 50 on them if you buy them used here. Other than that you may be able to snag a 260 (192 shaders version) for that on a good deal, doesn't hurtto look.

And yes, typically more shaders means more points, but shader speed also plays a key role.
 
Ok cool, I appreciate it...thing I like about craigslist is that I can get it fast, but I'd rather buy on here..better people.
 
your hit and miss on CL tho, here youve got a huge pool to draw from

I prefer CL for large uesed items where shipping becomes a problem tho
 
i'd just look around the FS/FT section of the forum. and see what pop's up. every once in a while a kick ass deal appears. like not long ago some one put a gtx 260 216 core up for 75 bucks which is a steal. easily does 8k PPD when overclocked. and if you get lucky you may find some one selling a gtx 275 which can do as much as 10k PPD when overclocked and if you happen to play games at all the gtx 260/275 will easily out perform the GT 430 and GTS 450.
 
8800GS/9600GSOs aren't particularly good value any more, since the used price for an 8800GT or 9800GT is around $50 these days. You won't be able to get a 9600GSO for much less, so you may as well go higher. Other good options are the 9800GTX or GTS 250, as I believe other people have suggested already. If you're lucky, you may even be able to find a used GTX 260 or GTX 275 for near your budget as well.
 
GT 430 are good for ~4000 PPD and my opinion is not to buy these cards because production is just too low compared to other choices especially in the second-hand market. If you're interested in Fermi, your best bet is to get a GTX 460 or even a used GTS 450, if you can find one at a rock bottom price that seem to becoming available more and more lately.
 
The 9800 GTX PLUS is a good folder. Turns around 5500 to 6500 ppd in stock mode. Overclock and you get even more. 128 shaders and based on 55nm so runs cooler and uses less electricity.

Oh and I just happen to have 2 of these for sale on the FS forum.

Good luck
 
The 9800 GTX PLUS is a good folder. Turns around 5500 to 6500 ppd in stock mode. Overclock and you get even more. 128 shaders and based on 55nm so runs cooler and uses less electricity.
Is that with GPU2 WUs? What are we looking at with a reasonable OC? 7K or more?
 
Is that with GPU2 WUs? What are we looking at with a reasonable OC? 7K or more?

I would say so, my GTS250 - which as we all know is basically the same did 5.4-6.7k depending on the wu - never did get a chance to OC it due to heat issues on the rig it was in. Now i can OC it the fan died and i haven't got round to fixing it yet.
 
I have a gtx 275 I could be convinced to sell. I hadn't put in on the FS/FT forum because I'm not actively *trying* to get rid of it, but I'm all out of places to put it. Pulled between 8.5 and 9.5k ppd depending on WU. I never did any hardcore OC'ing on it, but it ran in the high 60s/low 70s in my fairly warm dorm room (I want to say I had it at 1500 shaders, stock core and memory, but I'm not sure). PM me if you're interested.
 
Back
Top