Decepticon
Gawd
- Joined
- Nov 26, 2006
- Messages
- 554
So, I'm in the process of ripping all my CD's, and archiving all my amassed music to external hard drives. Space is not really a problem, so I've decided to go with one copy of my collection as 192kbps MP3's for use day to day on my iPod, and to keep on my notebook for playback when I'm not worried about audio quality. Then I'm going to have a second copy of this music on the external drives that I want to be lossless for when I want the sound quality.
A few questions; What is the best lossless format to archive to? Right now I'm leaning towards FLAC, but the lack of iTunes support for that is really a turn off (my main OS is Leopard, so iTunes is basically THE music playback software I'm using currently) I plan on having Windows by the summer, so if FLAC is the best bet I'd be ok with using that format seeing as through Windows I will be able to play back the FLAC files (I can in OS X, but I'd have to use VLC or something similar and I would miss having iTunes cataloguing functionality). Some of my music I've already ripped on Windows (this was a little while ago) using EAC and converted the music to WAV. Would WAV be a better bet than FLAC because then I could play it back with iTunes, or basically ANY music playback software I choose? I really only am torn between these formats because from what I've seen/read it seems FLAC is more widely chosen to archive than WAV or anything else is. Is there a reason for this? I would think WAV would be more universally playable than FLAC. Or maybe there is a plugin or way to get FLAC to play through iTunes (on OS X)?
Finally, for archiving, what would be the best ripping software for OS X? I'm using EAC on Windows, and for now am using xACT on my Mac, but if there are better options out there, I'd like to hear about them
Thanks for any help guys!
A few questions; What is the best lossless format to archive to? Right now I'm leaning towards FLAC, but the lack of iTunes support for that is really a turn off (my main OS is Leopard, so iTunes is basically THE music playback software I'm using currently) I plan on having Windows by the summer, so if FLAC is the best bet I'd be ok with using that format seeing as through Windows I will be able to play back the FLAC files (I can in OS X, but I'd have to use VLC or something similar and I would miss having iTunes cataloguing functionality). Some of my music I've already ripped on Windows (this was a little while ago) using EAC and converted the music to WAV. Would WAV be a better bet than FLAC because then I could play it back with iTunes, or basically ANY music playback software I choose? I really only am torn between these formats because from what I've seen/read it seems FLAC is more widely chosen to archive than WAV or anything else is. Is there a reason for this? I would think WAV would be more universally playable than FLAC. Or maybe there is a plugin or way to get FLAC to play through iTunes (on OS X)?
Finally, for archiving, what would be the best ripping software for OS X? I'm using EAC on Windows, and for now am using xACT on my Mac, but if there are better options out there, I'd like to hear about them
Thanks for any help guys!