Best LiveCD OS with NTFS/RAID support?

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
To simplify a complex situation, I have a RAID array and a single USB 2.0 hard disk; I need to copy a file off the RAID array to the disk (a backup) but I don't have a hard drive to install Windows on and go through those motions (and installing to the backup drive won't work, not enough space). All the volumes are NTFS (from Vista). Can anyone suggest a LiveCD operating system (Windows-based is preferred) that will accomplish this task?

I don't have any experience with LiveCD's for anything other than Linux Distros, so any help would be appreciated!

I'm pretty sure ubuntu livecd will be able to read what you need

I have 7.10, but I haven't heard good things about Linux writing to NTFS. Do you know if these issues have been fixed in 7.10?

depends on what kind of raid array and what kind of controller...

if you have winxp drivers, you can always put them on a floppy and use a winpe disk... my favorite is super winpe 2k4 disk... but obtaining this disk may be.... erm... unsavory for some....

then you hit F6 while its booting and load up your raid drivers... once inside it is winxp winpe with usb support and ghost32 (if you want to image) or just simple file browsers if you need a couple files off

It's a RAID 0 (2x 500 GB WD drives) on an Intel ICH9R (Abit IP35).

I'm going to try both (Ubuntu and winpe 2k4), and see if either of them get me somewhere.

I already told you on msn, but use Bart, excellent program, it creates a windows PE like enviroment from any legit xp cd you have lying around, you download modules to insert into the prgoam, and then you "create" an iso with it, burn and use :)

I already told you on msn, but use Bart, excellent program, it creates a windows PE like enviroment from any legit xp cd you have lying around, you download modules to insert into the prgoam, and then you "create" an iso with it, burn and use :)

BartPE is the way to go for a WinXP based environment live CD. Vista PE is the way to go for a live CD based on Vista code (actually WinPE 2.0 from the current Windows automated installation kit which is aviable from MS for free if you don't have Vista install media).

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ - BartPE
http://www.vistape.net/download.html - VistaPE

Back