Best linux media player?

so_cal_forever

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm gonna be doing a Gentoo install soon (stage 1 :cool: ), but one things got me worried. I'll be needing a good media player. What's the best? I've seen XMMS used most commonly, but it lacks a library (important to me)...

I have to get into the office so I don't have to time list the pros and cons of various players. There is a list of them in this article. Take a look at them and try one with a feature set you like.

EDIT: Short answer is my favorite is MPlayer

amarok's popular for KDE, on GNOME you have rhythmbox and muine. BTW, what library did you think xmms is 'missing'? It has plugins for just about everything...

Amarok definatly looks best for what I'll need. After looking into XMMS, yeah, I did overlook the library plug-ins out there. Who knows, I guess my final decision will come when I'm in Gentoo and messing around. :)

k13: sure, you can do that...i tend to stick to GNOME apps in GNOME, though, so everything plays nice and looks good together and I don't waste memory loading all the KDE libs. but yup, you can of course use amarok in GNOME or rhythmbox / muine in KDE if you like one a lot more than the others.

we have a linux server at our school that runs one (i dont know its name) but if you type Sparc.php or something in the url you can acsess it and change the track from ne where in the school. any one know what that one is?

p.s sry for hijaking(sp?) your thread

Back