Best Linux DVR / watcher

k1ng

Limp Gawd
Ok so I am building a new linux only comp. I am gonna get at least 1 tuner, and I am really wondering the best looking, and nicest DVR. I have used mythtv before, on a pretty decent computer, and everything was horribly sluggish, and I didn't necessarily like the gui.

Is there any other good or decent DVR or tv watching programs?
If there was an xbmc plugin for TV I would be completely set...

any suggestions?
THanks

How long ago was your experience with MythTV? I only ask because I just set up my own HTPC this week running MythTV, and it runs just fine on some fairly old hardware (SocketA Sempron 3100, 768MB, etc). There are also a bunch of skins you can apply to MythTV to change up the look, and from what I understand, you can change all the menus around any way you like by editing a few XML files. Myth is a huge pain to set up, however.

Vista MCE or XP MCE are both popular around here, as is SageTV. I actually toyed with MediaPortal, but couldn't get it to work with my capture card, so I went with MythTV.

I do know that the windows offerings are good, but I'll never go back to windows. :)

I'll try myth again, thanks.

I just added a pcHDTV5500 to my shuttle I use while I work at home. Added mythbuntu to the existing ubuntu installation I already had on there and had myth setup within 10 minutes. It wasn't my first time around with myth but I can see how it is daunting if you aren't familiar with it.

I just added a pcHDTV5500 to my shuttle I use while I work at home. Added mythbuntu to the existing ubuntu installation I already had on there and had myth setup within 10 minutes. It wasn't my first time around with myth but I can see how it is daunting if you aren't familiar with it.
You must have been one of the lucky ones. I'm still on a SDTV, so I had to mess with Xorg.conf, and I'm using a homebrew IR receiver, so I had to mess with pretty much every aspect of LIRC. At least Canonical/nVidia/Xorg figured out the binary driver issues--I can only guess how many hours I spent trying to get the binary nVidia driver to work on my system. 8.10 fixed it, though.

Back