A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!
Is it a dedicated folder? If so, I would go with Ubuntu server as by default it is not load a lot of 'extra' things. There are several good guides in the guides subsection.
There is no significant benefit of one distro over another. Ubuntu Desktop has to be the most bloated distro out there, and it performs within a couple of seconds/frame of the optimized stripped-down variant. I would recommend picking one you know and going with it. I have run many, including SLES, Arch, Gentoo, Debian, CentOS, Fedora, and a "folding-optimized" Slackware version, and none of them performed any better than Ubuntu Desktop. All of my folding machines now run Ubuntu Server.