Best Linux distro for a nube?

SUSE 10 32-bit or Fedora Core 5 32-bit or Ubuntu 32-bit

[F]old|[H]ard

:D you're going to get a lot of varied responses but whatever you do I would DEFINITELY stick to 32 bit code to keep away from some of the 64 bit issues. Tackle one whale at a time. :)

For the record I'd go with Fedora though I hear Unbuntu is pretty damn good.

I did Gentoo, as I wanted to learn the most. Took a FULL week before I even got to my desktop :D
However, I was doing this in my free time at work, so if it was at home, I would have been up the 2nd evening.

Gentoo is a really great way of learning linux, that's how i learn alot of it, but compiling all that stuff was fun once or twice, but i don't think I would want to do it again. If you're a big time newbie I would start out with something a bit easier, Ubuntu seems really nice, I haven't tried it yet just what i've heard and the screenshots are nice. You could go with an old standard and go with SuSE or Mandriva. They're all pretty nice and easy to set up but they don't really challenge you like gentoo does (or did for me)

If you know how to read, you can have Ubuntu up and running on your PC in less time than it takes to install Windows.

Or goto the live cd list @

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

And play with linux to your hearts content without having to install it. Slax is nice. Theres a Ubuntu Live DVD now. My personal favorite is Overclockix.

I definitely recommend ubuntu. I find debian-based distros to be alot more intuitive and enjoyable. I loaded up Mandriva and putzed around with .rpm files until I got sick of the crap and just went ubuntu -- which detected and installed a driver for every single significant device in my desktop.

Tell me what a "nube" is and ill tell you the best distro to match

eeyrjmr said:
..and to add to that .. are you a "I want to learn Linux" nube or a "I want a Linux distro that will spoon feed everything to me like windows" nube ..?

[F]old|[H]ard

eeyrjmr said:

ThreeDee said:
..and to add to that .. are you a "I want to learn Linux" nube or a "I want a Linux distro that will spoon feed everything to me like windows" nube ..?

[F]old|[H]ard

A "nube" dosen't know that people will be rude when he asks for help.

A good distro for beginners will spoon feed everything like Windows. So recommend something Debian based and point him to apt-get.

Smart asses in forums probably scare more people away from Linux than anything.

upriverpaddler said:
A "nube" dosen't know that people will be rude when he asks for help.

A good distro for beginners will spoon feed everything like Windows. So recommend something Debian based and point him to apt-get.

Smart as*** in forums probably scare more people away from Linux than anything.

:rolleyes:

umm ..wasn't meant to be rude , it was a question I asked myself when I started venturing into linux land , so kiss my .. err .. I mean .. so ,uh .. my apologies if I came across as "rude"

:)

[F]old|[H]ard

This question is asked daily and the answer is Ubuntu. Simple, great hardware detection, and you can use APT-GET!

what i want to know is whats the real difference in distros? ive seen many and they all look the same to me?

boredguyatcomp said:
what i want to know is whats the real difference in distros? ive seen many and they all look the same to me?

and since they all use the same source, yup

The only real differences is the install-method (but all the main players all have nice simple GUI-isntallers now) and their package management and that is it

and then you have Gentoo

I started on gentoo, and I'm glad I did. I learned more about linux in two weeks than in 2 years of dabbling with other distros every now and then.

boredguyatcomp said:

Every distro just takes Linux and sugar coats it in their own certain way for their needs...

Just like if there was one automotive chasis and engine in the world and everyone took that chasis and engine and built their frame and features around that for their needs. Some would be for performance, some for saftey and others for daily commute...same thing with Linux.

It's all geared towards a specific user. Redhat, CentOS, Fedora are great in ENT environments as servers. They all look the same but handle services and other OS operations much different than Mandrake, SUSE, or Slackware.

Just from a new linux user aspect, don't start with Gentoo. Gentoo is the most complex distro next to "Linux From Scratch". Yes you get the most control over your system but you first need to understand why that is important or if you even have a need for that flexability. Anything based on Debian (Knoppix, Ubuntu, Feather) are great started distros to help keep you from getting frustarted. After a level of frustration, you will just give up and that is not the point of Linux.

Try Fedora, try Debian, try Ubuntu or any others - Hell, I picked a distro just becuase they had a cooler logo and now I love Debian so... :p

ThreeDee said:
:rolleyes:

umm ..wasn't meant to be rude , it was a question I asked myself when I started venturing into linux land , so kiss my .. err .. I mean .. so ,uh .. my apologies if I came across as "rude"

:)

[F]old|[H]ard

I'm just hypersensitive cuz I've been a noob since I did my first FC install 2 years ago. I remember getting smartass answers when I knew less than I know now (which still isn't much). So I apologize too.

And again, google the live cd list for distros you don't need to install.

I've always been a fan of PC Linux OS:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?6

You can download the Live CD and then install if you like. Updates are done by Synaptic and are done all the time (thanks to TexStar the one man development team). I'd also second not diving into Gentoo if your not fairly familiar with your computer, OS's etc... But yes you'll learn alot from doing a Stage 1 install :D Hey it only took me 3 days on my ol' P3 to compile everything!

Back