Best laptop for a 1000 dollars or less

slats

[H]ard|Gawd
I do not require the mobililty of a laptop but a friends wife will be purchasing one to carry to and from work to work on academics and such. Someone please recommend a nice deal for a thousand or less. The batteries will not see excessive use but portability should be deciding factor. This system will probably not see a lot of gaming, just mostly music and work and it must be configured for wireless internet. Any recommedations would be appreciated. Here is a couple of deals I found. Which one would be the better deal?

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=317709&pfp=BROWSE

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=i600mS1&s=dhs

Newegg is running some good deals on some Acers.

Same screen and resolution but <7lbs and well less than 1,000. C-M though but some with P-M.

With deals right now you can get a inspiron 700m for ~$1000 shipped. Over $999 = 30% off right now.

Mind you, this is coming from my roommate.
I got a Refurb 700m w/ 1.8ghz/512mb/60gb for $1000.35 shipped.

thanks guys.........laptop found a real bargin to, from dell.

I've had my 600m for about a year and a half and other then a weird bios issue that messed up gaming(fixed now) the thing has been great. I got it with the 1400x1050 screen. I would recomend it to someone elce.

dont buy that garbage from dell, for less than 899 you can get

Athlon64 3000+ - 3400+
512MB PC2700 Ram
DVDRW
80GB HDD
15.4" wide screen
radeon 9600 pro
54g WLAN
4x USB
1x 1394

if those dells beat this config for cheaper then get it, but i really dont think dell can even with rebates and coupons

klowngoblin said:
dont buy that garbage from dell, for less than 899 you can get

Athlon64 3000+ - 3400+
512MB PC2700 Ram
DVDRW
80GB HDD
15.4" wide screen
radeon 9600 pro
54g WLAN
4x USB
1x 1394

if those dells beat this config for cheaper then get it, but i really dont think dell can even with rebates and coupons

sounds like a good system. Link?

good deal on the dell 9300.

I was able to configure it with:

1.6 pentium-m
512 mb memory
geforce go 6800
60gb hard drive

for $1100 with free shipping. A little out of the budget range but not too bad.

bizzz111 said:
sounds like a good system. Link?

good deal on the dell 9300.

I was able to configure it with:

1.6 pentium-m
512 mb memory
geforce go 6800
60gb hard drive

for $1100 with free shipping. A little out of the budget range but not too bad.

emachines M68XX laptops and gateway has an equivilent but cant remember the model, you can probably get it locally or online, tigerdirect has one, but im sure tons of stores have them and are close to your location

If she is not going to be playing games any more advanced then, say, Unreal tournament, Diablo 2, starcraft.... minesweeper... then the graphic card is no deciding factor.

I was very impressed with the build quality of an IBM laptop (although without a student discount, they can be pricey).

Anyway, i bought a nice Acer Aspire 1681 from newegg for 989$us. Great laptop!
Screen size is perfect for my eyes, its light enough, build quality is good, and they keyboard is logical (the IBM did not have the windows key.........). It also seems much thiner then 1.5".
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=34-115-186&depa=0

The only changes i did is i upgraded the 512mb ram to 1280mb (both ram sticks are accessable from the bottom, i was very happy to find this out!). And i purchased a Creative Labs audigy 2 zs PCMCIA sound card, and use it with sennheiser hd-497 headphones! Very good sound for the price i paid. Card was like 90$ and headphones are about 45$ both from newegg.

The only way i can think of getting a better laptop with mobility in mind would be the IBM X serires which starts at around 1500$us.

Whats nice about the Acer is that it did not come with a million apps (bloatware) which is soo common among computers/laptops purchased from Dell Home. When i first turned on my laptop, they had a program run which installed all the necessary drivers, No configuration was needed (this was awsome).

For the price, i would recommend this to your friend's wife.

~Hope this helps

Edit: I forgot to say that the Pentium M 1.5ghz runs very cool! The fan is not even noticible, whereas some of the laptops ive seen with the AMD64 processor run much hotter with a shorter system battery life.

klowngoblin said:
LMAO! does starcraft and diablo 2 even run on an NT platform?
I play it on Windows XP..... which is'nt the origional NT, but close to it. No "compadibility mode" needed eaither.

Back