• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best laptop cooling pad?

Crotan

Gawd
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
942
Alright here is my dilemma, I often find myself playing AoC on my m1330, it does fine usually but when the little 8400m gs GPU that could inside hits around 70 C it throttles itself down to something like 180 Mhz core and 100Mhz memory.

Well enough said when it does this the game becomes a slideshow. So I’m looking for people that have had experience with laptop cooling pads and which brand or any in particular is the best to get. I’m really just looking for the 13 inch range. If it were not usb powered it would be better as I’m lacking usb ports but not surge outlets but not really a deal breaker just something that might be nice. Any help appreciated

I wouldn't mind dishing out something like $42.99 for the zalman ZM-NC1000 if it gets the job done and feels solid just need some input
 
I own two coolers. Thermaltake Tai-Chi & Coolermaster Notepal Infinite...Sure, they perform well and so does my laptop, but a larger fan in lower rpm is better for being quiet & maybe forcing more CFM to my laptop...

So , i am expecting this to come to a store near me...and i recommend it to you also...the Enermax Aeolus Notebook Cooler with 22cmx17mm fan underneath....It covers nearly the whole bottom area of a notebook...only drawing power from a USB port...

Maybe a bit pricy for the beginning, but i think it's better from the 2-small-size-high-rev-fans solutions...
 
the zalman nc2000 and the cryo xl are supposed to be the best laptop coolers you can buy. Their is tons of info on these on notebookreview.
I personally think all stock laptop coolers are terrible.
My laptop cooler consists of three 176mm high performance EBM Papst turbofans which push over 1200cfm of air volume under my laptop.
The fans are 48V, but I run the fans at 9volts, cause they are super quiet when they are running at this voltage, and they still push over 500cfm of air volume combined at this voltage. My dell E1505 laptop runs extremely cold when using my cooler. cpu temperatures, never run more than 15F above oom temperatures. It works great, the fans are very expensive, but performance wise it is definitely the best.

If you do go for a stock cooler, it is best to get a cooler where the fans on teh cooler line up with the vents on your laptop.

K-TRON
 
Honestly, I think jacking up the back of a laptop with a webster's dictionary is better than a laptop cooling pad. It's also a good conversation starter, "...That's where a dictionary belongs, below the importance level of a pc, the Ctrl-f function now exists for a reason..."
To me, I just don't see how there can be any air flow in less than a cm of clearance. Also, any metal in the cooling pad would provide minimal heat dissipation due to the rubber pads at the bottom of the laptop separating the heatpad from the laptop base.
 
Honestly, I think jacking up the back of a laptop with a webster's dictionary is better than a laptop cooling pad.

Well my laptop has the 9 cell battery which already props up the back of the laptop for better airflow, but part of the problem was it was overheating when gaming, so this wasn't enough.

I ended up going with that zalmen and it no longer overheats and throttles itself down, also it does wonders for my 7200rpm drive. I could feel the heat with my palm just when typing from where the HDD is, now its the same temp as the rest of the casing.

So , i am expecting this to come to a store near me...and i recommend it to you also...the Enermax Aeolus Notebook Cooler with 22cmx17mm fan underneath....It covers nearly the whole bottom area of a notebook...only drawing power from a USB port...

Maybe a bit pricy for the beginning, but i think it's better from the 2-small-size-high-rev-fans solutions...

Yea the enermax looks like a top notch product cooling the whole base. Though the zalmen is working great so far having the complete coverage seems like it would be better especially for the GPU situated at the back of the laptop but at $68 with shipping im not sure I could justify the price. I think it definitely would perform better than the zalmen though.

Thanks for your input guys
 
Here's my suggestion - if you feel up to it.

Take apart the laptop and reapply the thermal compound using AS5 or whatever you like. I've done that quite a few times and it makes a huge difference.
 
My laptop cooler consists of three 176mm high performance EBM Papst turbofans which push over 1200cfm of air volume under my laptop.
The fans are 48V, but I run the fans at 9volts, cause they are super quiet when they are running at this voltage, and they still push over 500cfm of air volume combined at this voltage. My dell E1505 laptop runs extremely cold when using my cooler. cpu temperatures, never run more than 15F above oom temperatures. It works great, the fans are very expensive, but performance wise it is definitely the best.
K-TRON

K-tron, is that a custom cooler you're talking about?

Any info or photos of that would be appreciated...

Thanx
 
Back
Top