Best laptop brand?

I've always thought IBMs were swank(swank = good). Sager(Alienware) make some prett good gaming laptops, and for the budget minded consumer i'd say toshiba is up there.

I say Dell for budget minded. 600m rox0rs j00 box0rs for the price ;)

Like whats been said already for the budget minded sager rocks but with money being no object ibm is the king.

Speaking of IBM
what is the difference between the T41 and the T42 besides the Size (14.1" and 15")

CSSmitty said:
Speaking of IBM
what is the difference between the T41 and the T42 besides the Size (14.1" and 15")
T42 has the dothan processors. i believe thats the biggest update (and the new mobo and whatnot to accomodate whatever intel changed). i forget all the details

I think it really depends what you want a notebook for.

Dell probably works for most people, IBM's are really nice, but for gaming, Hypersonic, Voodoo, and Falcon Northwest are pretty sweet.

After a lot of research, I ended up ordering a Hypersonic .

ive owned two sonys two toshibas three ibms and an acre... Toshiba was the best with acer coming in as a close second. Toshiba has great support great gaming laptops great prices and great looks look at the satellite P25-S509 it has a 17inch widescreen and a great videocard... IBM's powersupply's tend to break same thing happened with my two ibms and my brothers and my dads and my teachers!!!! their powersupplies have to be propped up in acetain way to make the connecton.

IBMs rock. Dells are good for the budget minded if you know how to use their coupons. Sonys are overpriced pieces of crap. Sagers are good if you don't need mobility. But yeah - IBM is definitely the best all around.

SMPWorksForME said:
ive owned two sonys two toshibas three ibms and an acre... Toshiba was the best with acer coming in as a close second. Toshiba has great support great gaming laptops great prices and great looks look at the satellite P25-S509 it has a 17inch widescreen and a great videocard... IBM's powersupply's tend to break same thing happened with my two ibms and my brothers and my dads and my teachers!!!! their powersupplies have to be propped up in acetain way to make the connecton.
noobie. lol

I know plenty of people with all kinds of IBMs and not once have i heard that problem before.

When I had a Thinkpad A31, I had a very minor problem with the ac adapter making a low electricity buzzing noise, but never had any problem with the connector not supplying juice to the laptop. I loved that A31, i dunno why IBM replaced it predominately with the R series.

I have used HP, Acer, TI, Dell, Toshiba, early emachine laptops, and IBM, and in the end I still use the ibm because the other brands would have broken down by then =)

Early emachine were horrible (circa 1999 - 2000), Early HP were great! - but every single one i have bought new, would never get passed the windows initial laptop setup screen. Toshiba was always good, i loved the ones with trackballs built into the back of the screen. Early dell latitudes were excellent. TI laptops were also very solid.

never used a compaq =/

it seems this fourm favors IBM to-the-max, however other forums favor Sager or Dell. It seems that it's [H] to own a IBM. I have wanted to try an ibook though.

artimasz said:
it seems this fourm favors IBM to-the-max, however other forums favor Sager or Dell. It seems that it's [H] to own a IBM. I have wanted to try an ibook though.

thats because we're all generally EDUCATED consumers ;)

emorphien said:
T42 has the dothan processors. i believe thats the biggest update (and the new mobo and whatnot to accomodate whatever intel changed). i forget all the details

Dothan and the introduction of the Mobility 9600

IBM has a great keyboard feel, and even better reputation, and can game if you get a good
card with it. Sager's has power and price on their side. If Sager had the advertising budget
of IBM, then I believe it would be [H] to have a ager.

I wold have to give the nod to Sager.

sony's are some of the worst laptops you can get. The support for them is pretty bad, and it won't let you change operating systems at all. We had a laptop that was "built for 2000" at my work and we went to install XP, which should've worked fine. When we tried to install some drivers from sony's site on the laptop, they wouldn't install because the drivers said we weren't running windows 2000. There's a chance you can find other drivers that will work with sony's, but a company should support multiple OS's. We've also had a lot more other random problems with sony's than we have with our toshibas, ibms, and dells. Although sony has a great sense of style and their laptops DO looks sexy :D

IBM hands down is the best. there is nothing better than the t-series. but sager/alienware are pretty good as well. if your looking for a desktop replacement check out falcon northwest but be prepared to drop a whole lotta cash.

I am going to have to go with Sager if you are looking for a desktop replacement, otherwise the compaq business series or IBM if you looking for something lighter / more portable and dells make great budget lines.

IBM makes solid laptops ... Toshiba was a pretty good brand ... but not sure about them now ... the low-end Dells have a flimsy feel to them ... although I have no problems with them ...

inc said:
That and the 15" Flexview :cool:

unfourtinatly the 60ms response time on that flexview is kinda a turn off. the R series has actually had the flexview for some time now

there really isn't that much ghosting; I had no more problem with Q3 excessive than I have with CRTs and my other LCDs.

IBM Roxs, followed by HP/Compaq business stuff (the EVO line for example).

In my Opinion anyways.

onetrueday said:
so, how's that acer from newegg line up?

If you really want a laptop ... go with a Pentium M, Centrino, or A64 mobile ... If I remember correctly, the one you linked up is more of a Desktop replacement, P4 3.0 GHZ will be murder on the battery ...

primea said:
If you really want a laptop ... go with a Pentium M, Centrino, or A64 mobile ... If I remember correctly, the one you linked up is more of a Desktop replacement, P4 3.0 GHZ will be murder on the battery ...
I take it you know the centrino is the pentium M.

Back