Best joystick for BF2/BF3

itachi183

Limp Gawd
Hey, I've always loved flying in BF2, I'm pretty good with the helicopters on mouse but when it comes to the jets I can never turn sharp enough or aim properly.

With BF3 coming up I'm siked about flying again and I want to get a joystick and launch BF2 back up again.

I could only find old threads from 2005 about "best joysticks"

So, whats the best joystick for jets in BF2 out right now? Or a very good one atleast.

If they use the same control scheme that is in BC2 for BF3 then using a joystick will be a pain in the ass. At least for choppers...

I had a Saitek X52 Pro for sims, but I found that it didn't work too well in arcadey games like BF2. When the game first came out I used a Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro 2 which many will agree is probably the best joystick for a game like BF2 (unfortunately I no longer have mine). Good luck finding one, though.

I now use a Logitech Freedom 2.4ghz and I have to say it is rather decent for a game like BF2. It's light which many may see as a negative, but it allows me to move it in/out of the way really fast for when I do/don't need it. I always have one hand on the base for rapid throttle adjustments, flares, and eject anyways.

when I played BF2 I used my old Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feed Back, loved it till it broke id recomend one if you can find one.

I get the cheapest I can find...a Logitech Attack 3 black. You can buy it for around $20 bucks. It's solid and does the job very well...lots of button options that I hardly use. I don't fly in BF2 without it. Mouse-flying is not an option if you're a serious jet pilot.

I use my left hand on keyboard to work boost, flares, forward, air brake and such. My joystick is for fire, missiles, roll and pitch.

I don't fly a chopper with a joystick,either. I know people who do and do it well. My Microsoft 3-button wired mouse does me fine.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-963291-0403-Attack-3-Joystick/dp/B0000ALFC5"]Amazon.com: Logitech Attack 3 Joystick: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41E26NBF2ZL.@@AMEPARAM@@41E26NBF2ZL[/ame]

I wonder how the flying is going to be in BF3. If they dumbed-it down, i'll be pissed. :mad: *edit* click on the joystick pic caption for the link.

Last edited:
I was wanting to do the same thing, but I've never swapped from mouse/kb to joystick within the same game. Is it fairly straightforward (just map it in the keybindings) or does it require more to be functional?

And for those that tried it, was it worth the hassle of swapping back and forth?

I was wanting to do the same thing, but I've never swapped from mouse/kb to joystick within the same game. Is it fairly straightforward (just map it in the keybindings) or does it require more to be functional?

And for those that tried it, was it worth the hassle of swapping back and forth?
BF lets you customize input devices and controls for on foot, in cars/tanks, in planes and in choppers.

Nah you just switch back and forth....keep your joystick next to your mouse...not a problem.

To fly, it's easier in BF2 (for me anyway) to keep your left hand on the keyboard for special controls and just use your joystick to shoot and pitch and roll. Then use your mouse for pitch and roll and fire in a chopper, keeping your left hand on the same WSAD controls for forward, back, left, right...etc. And when fighting hand to hand, your controls should already be set-up for same keys on the left-hand side of the keyboard. This way, your left hand is always the constant.

It might take some practice I guess but I'm used to using different controls for different phases of action. I always rebind my hand to hand movement keys in shooters to the arrows instead of WSAD. So when I play BF2, I have to switch from flying jets and choppers left-handed with WSAD to moving my left hand to the right-side of the keyboard using the arrow keys and surrounding keys for movement, sprint, prone, etc.

I generally use WSAD just for vehicles...

You see...it's not complicated. ;) :p. lol...it works for me...i've been doing it that way for many years.

I was able to get my x52 running on bf3, the new drivers for it caused my mouse inputs to go nutty, maybe conflicting with the razer software for my mamba. I uninstalled and just use the windows drivers for my x52.

The throttle doesn't work right for the jets for some reason. Even though my throttle maps and works perfectly for the helicopters, it doesn't work properly for the jets.

The throttle will see acceleration, when pushed forward but leaves it @ full speed. It will not adjust the speed down and up. I actually have to use the thumb slider thats on the throttle to toggle my speed, all the way down for full speed and all the way up to decelerate.

Really confusing, I've adapted in the meantime until something gets worked out or I can find a way to map the controls properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roobPCeBP3Q

I am having problems with my logitech extreme 3d pro and bf3. loving the hell out of the game otherwise, though.

Back