Best IPS LCDs?

Serpico

[H]F Junkie
I haven't been too impressed with TFN panel LCDs that I have looked at, mainly due to non-uniform lighting from corner to corner of the display as well as poor viewing angles. I know that they have very fast response times (super important for gaming) but I have a hard time getting around the other issues I mentioned.

What are the best LCDs with IPS panels out there? Also, do these display a noticeable amount of ghosting compared to a TFN panel? I am looking for something in the 22" widescreen range.

Thanks in advance.

Don't think they make any consumer priced 22" IPS panel monitors. You should check out the LG226wt 22" and the HP w2207 22", both with TN panels.

you either go up to 24" or down to 20" or pay the price for an eizo 22".

I myself just went for the 20" dell and have returned my 226bw.

holy crap, just looked at the price of the eizo. I bet that it is one sweet monitor though, wonder if anyone at [H] has one

Eizo HD2441W $1,700.00 US no input lag , 6ms, SIPS amazing colour. Hard finding reviews but I guess you don't really need them.

Don't think they make any consumer priced 22" IPS panel monitors. You should check out the LG226wt 22" and the HP w2207 22", both with TN panels.

Price below $1000 is not a concern. TN panels bug the crap out of me and I don't mind paying more (even twice as much) for an IPS.

you either go up to 24" or down to 20" or pay the price for an eizo 22".

I myself just went for the 20" dell and have returned my 226bw.

Which 20" Dell model is that and how would you compare it to the 226bw, especially as far as ghosting in games goes?

Thanks.

Its the Dell 2007wfp. It has proven itself to be on par with the fastest TN panels in benchmark tests.

Under $1000? How about the $999 26" Planar H-IPS widescreen monitor? :D

Although I guess shipping cost would put it over the $1k mark. :(

Only problem with the uniform lighting is, as far as backlight bleed, that's pretty much the luck of the draw no matter what LCD you get. There are ones that compensate for it to a certain extent but those go for $1500-$2000. Ouch.

Under $1000? How about the $999 26" Planar H-IPS widescreen monitor? :D

Although I guess shipping cost would put it over the $1k mark. :(

Only problem with the uniform lighting is, as far as backlight bleed, that's pretty much the luck of the draw no matter what LCD you get. There are ones that compensate for it to a certain extent but those go for $1500-$2000. Ouch.

It is a little big. :)

22" is as large as I'd like to go, mainly because I would like to have a decent chance at running games in native resolution with the new PC I'm building in September.

I think Serpico is in the same boat as I am. I had originally decided to go for the 226bw, then wait for the 226cw, then decided not to look at TN's at all. I've almost ordered the 2007wfp 3 or 4 times but I'm concerned about the spec sheet showing 16ms response time.
Scyles said:
Its the Dell 2007wfp. It has proven itself to be on par with the fastest TN panels in benchmark tests.
Links?

22" is as large as I'd like to go, mainly because I would like to have a decent chance at running games in native resolution with the new PC I'm building in September.

NEC 20WMGX2 - own it and love it. Not all LCDs have backlight bleed and poor black levels. The blacks on this thing are better than my 2002-era Dell 19" CRT that I used to have.

I think Serpico is in the same boat as I am. I had originally decided to go for the 226bw, then wait for the 226cw, then decided not to look at TN's at all.

That is exactly what I've been going through. I even returned a 226bw. I don't care what anyone else says, I've seen the best TN panels out there and I think they are garbage compared to IPS and MVA panels. Response time for games is the only thing holding me back, and I have read that even that issue has been taken care of. Unfortunately I don't have any hands on experience with that which is why I came here. :)

Well if you go, say, GeForce 8800 GTX SLI, 1920x1200 would work out. ;)

I like playing games myself.. but I also enjoy writing from time to time.. anything less than 1920x1200 doing that is worse than choppy games. You will probably have to go 20" to get anything half decent, as I believe all of the 22" LCDs are 6-bit TN. Nasty.

Well if you go, say, GeForce 8800 GTX SLI, 1920x1200 would work out. ;)

I like playing games myself.. but I also enjoy writing from time to time.. anything less than 1920x1200 doing that is worse than choppy games. You will probably have to go 20" to get anything half decent, as I believe all of the 22" LCDs are 6-bit TN. Nasty.

Good to know regarding available non-TFN display sizes.

And yeah, dual 8800GTX is kind of out of my range. :)

Either get the NEC 20WMGX2 or the 2007wfp. I got the 2007 because of the price compared, but they're both GREAT panels in comparison to the 22" TN Panels and you won't be disappointed. Don't worry about gaming, you will be fine unless you're somehow hypersensitive or extremely picky, even then you'd be hard pressed to really notice anything. The only thing I noticed for differences in games were the colors

Ok I tend to overthink purchases but on an impulse, I just bought the 2007wfp. What the hell, why not... here's hoping I get a decent panel.

I'm also looking at the Dell 2007wfp and just wanted to know how well it compares to a P-MVA panel. Are the blacks darker, the same, or lighter? How good is shadow detail in dark areas of games and movies?

I've forgotten where I obtained this link from but whoever is hosting this thanks.

The link I'm about to post is the reason I've decided to go with the Dell 2007WFP simply because of the almost non-existent back light bleed and the great view angle.

The comparison will scare you away from TN panels (except for the colors, because of the gloss screen)

http://www.fixit-4u.net/mrk/root/photos/room_gear/pc_tft_Dell2007WFP_vs_HPw2207/

I'm also looking at the Dell 2007wfp and just wanted to know how well it compares to a P-MVA panel. Are the blacks darker, the same, or lighter? How good is shadow detail in dark areas of games and movies?

This leads me to another question. What are some good P-MVA panels out there and how are they for gaming with ghosting, etc?

I've forgotten where I obtained this link from but whoever is hosting this thanks.

The link I'm about to post is the reason I've decided to go with the Dell 2007WFP simply because of the almost non-existent back light bleed and the great view angle.

The comparison will scare you away from TN panels (except for the colors, because of the gloss screen)

http://www.fixit-4u.net/mrk/root/photos/room_gear/pc_tft_Dell2007WFP_vs_HPw2207/

What's up with the colors? Even with the glossy screen, why does skin look so much better on the HP?

What's up with the colors? Even with the glossy screen, why does skin look so much better on the HP?
You're right about the colors, but the Dell wins with detail.

Find the picture with the woman and look at her eye. You can clearly see the difference in detail where the HP lacks in detail it gains in color. You can always fix the lack of color in the Dell with the menu settings (or so I assume).

I wonder if that is an S-IPS 2007wfp.

Great shots. How do games look on that Dell (ghosting, etc)?

I see a lot of people mentioning the Acer AL2051W when it comes to p-mva panels. Its listed as 8ms but compares to most 2-5ms TN panels I believe. I see some people complaining that darks get washed out with p-mva panels so you might get some muddy blacks... I'm not positive on this. Still better than tn.

I've also read several articles that say the Dell will hold its own against the faster TN panels. Most companies are listing "best-case scenario" when it comes to their response times where the Dell site clearly lists their response time as "16 ms typical response time" which means they're not trying to impress anyone with "best-case" specs. I like that.

I think that was probably the biggest selling point to me. The only downside is that the 2007wfp is smaller than the 226bw but trading a little quantity for lots of quality (hopefully) will give me peace of mind.

Yeah most of the fast TN panels use an overdrive of some sort as well so that's smudging the results a little bit as well

I see some people complaining that darks get washed out with m-pva panels so you might get some muddy blacks... I'm not positive on this.
I agree. I did some comparison testing a while back between a p-mva or whatever and a acer al1714 (tn I believe) and the dark reds were particularly more rich on the tn compared to the vp2030b (both monitors calibrated btw sw)

I say the Dell 30" HC and NEC 20WMGX2 and the two displays I consider almost epic as monitors go. S-IPS might be dying off and these are worth forking over for. My only knock on the Dell is the anti-glare coating. After using the clear/gloss on the NEC I can't look at antiglare anymore. The Dell 2007 is nice too. Its just made with lower binned parts - hence the "issues",

S-IPS might be dying off and these are worth forking over for.

What will replace them? I hope this doesn't mean that we are doomed to TFN panels for the foreseeable future. I know that a few manufacturers like Apple won't settle for something as bad as TFN, so what will replace IPS?

I wasent going to say anything but since no one has and you have kept doing it...
ITS JUST TN, NOT TFN!

What will replace them? I hope this doesn't mean that we are doomed to TFN panels for the foreseeable future. I know that a few manufacturers like Apple won't settle for something as bad as TFN, so what will replace IPS?

Probably something new which works in a different way than LCD overall, not just a new panel type or advancement on current one. Think SED/FED and such.

I say the Dell 30" HC and NEC 20WMGX2 and the two displays I consider almost epic as monitors go. S-IPS might be dying off and these are worth forking over for. My only knock on the Dell is the anti-glare coating. After using the clear/gloss on the NEC I can't look at antiglare anymore. The Dell 2007 is nice too. Its just made with lower binned parts - hence the "issues",

^Totally agree about the anti-glare, but of course that's a personal preference. The reflections don't bother me coming from a CRT. Even without a 'proper room setup' to minimize it they aren't nearly as noticable when displaying actual images as the reviewers make it out to be with their stupid 'let's take a picture with the monitor off' comments. In my case it was originally having the HP w2207 next to a 2407WFP that made me hate Dell's antiglare. But now I am loving the best of both worlds on my NEC ;) If only Dell's antiglare wasn't SO strong and grainy/crystally I could have saved a few hundred :(

I wasent going to say anything but since no one has and you have kept doing it...
ITS JUST TN, NOT TFN!

Got it, thanks. I've seen it referred to as TFN many times so I appreciate the correction.

Well there is twisted numatic (TN) and then there is twisted f00kin numatic (TFN) and I avoid both dilligently.

I don't know what the specific prognosis is and rely on what people who follow the industry post concerning the S-IPS. For some reason people don't want to pay more for a better panel and want what was is cheapest. I mean I understand not wanting to pay a lot for things that might not be needed but I see people pay $200 extra for memory they think is better but wouldn't even know it by personal use and yet won't pay the same for a monitor thats right in their nose. Reviews rarely even mention what panel type is used. Its like panel types are "hush hush" or something. Best Buy and Circuit City both carry the NEC 20wmgx2 but both dont keep one in most stores because they are "too expensive". In any event, people close to field here and at Anandtech will say S-IPS is being used less and less. HP stopped using the 20" S-IPS. Dell started swapping them in and out of models last year. Even upper level more professional monitors uses S-IPS less and go to the PVA/MVA types. Some have speculated the demise of the 20" S-IPS. Hopefully thats not the case but in wouldn't be the first time a good technology fades against a lesser one.

Probably something new which works in a different way than LCD overall, not just a new panel type or advancement on current one. Think SED/FED and such.

^Totally agree about the anti-glare, but of course that's a personal preference. The reflections don't bother me coming from a CRT. Even without a 'proper room setup' to minimize it they aren't nearly as noticable when displaying actual images as the reviewers make it out to be with their stupid 'let's take a picture with the monitor off' comments. In my case it was originally having the HP w2207 next to a 2407WFP that made me hate Dell's antiglare. But now I am loving the best of both worlds on my NEC ;) If only Dell's antiglare wasn't SO strong and grainy/crystally I could have saved a few hundred :(

When I got my NEC and fire it up next to my older Dell 2007wfp and had the same pic on each for comparison, I went to get a rag to wipe off the Dell because I thought it was full of dust. Of course it turned out it was just the anti glare surface - which it seemed to me never really cut down on glare as much as spread it around so that small intense hot spots became larger fields of milky haze.

Yeah, I have a 2007WFP and it is a shame they use such an intense anti-glare :( You notice it from time to time and it seems such a sucky thing to do to an otherwise awesome monitor.

EDIT: S-IPS ftw, hopefully LG.Philips can do something to bring the price down, which is really the only way it will stay competitive with the swarms of cheap TN. I don't know why it isn't used so much now on larger panels, hopefully something is in the works since the current crop of panels have been around for years.

Yeah, I have a 2007WFP and it is a shame they use such an intense anti-glare :( You notice it from time to time and it seems such a sucky thing to do to an otherwise awesome monitor.

EDIT: S-IPS ftw, hopefully LG.Philips can do something to bring the price down, which is really the only way it will stay competitive with the swarms of cheap TN. I don't know why it isn't used so much now on larger panels, hopefully something is in the works since the current crop of panels have been around for years.
Yes, Dell uses very aggressive anti-glare because their primary market is brightly lit office environments. I've gotten used to mine now but the "fuzziness" is still very noticeable if you get too close to the screen. It's a sharp contrast to my Acer F-20 which uses a "crystalbrite" glossy screen coating which makes it seem more like looking at a crt. (but has plenty of glare if you can't control the lighting)

Dell doesn't use aggressive anti-glare. Dell just uses whatever comes with the LCD module. LG S-IPS panels have an aggressive coating. Samsung S-PVA panels have a mild coating.

Then how do you explain the gloss on the NEC 20"?

EDIT: Do the Apple displays have the same coating? I didnt notice it on my friends 20"WS but it has been some time since I used it.

Back