best internet provider for 10 person office (using dropbox)

DReborn

Limp Gawd
hey all, not sure if this is the right forum but I am having a hell of a time choosing a an internet provider for my office.

I started with DSL but it was so painfully slow that we upgrade to a T1 line which was barely better and definitely not worth $400/month.

we use dropbox to sync our files but besides that we really just have 5-7 people browsing the internet/checking email at a time. Nothing crazy.

Would a WiMax option work? Seems like it's faster than a T1 but I know it's not as "robust" as a T1 but I'll be honest, anytime anyone in our network is downloading anything it completely slows down the entire t1 until the download is finished. that doesn't feel like robust to me. robust to me means that everybody feels 1.5mb up/1.5mb down all the time.

anyways, love any advice!

thanks

Where are you located geographically? For instance I could suggest Time Warner Roadrunner Extreme which is 30/5, however if you are in Boston MA that isn't going to do you any good because TWC isn't available in Boston.

Also what is the reason for using dropbox over a local file server that does offsite backup? You may find that a standard 10/2 cable connection and a local file server will serve the office much better then a x/5< connection that allows everyone to upload at 1mbps. You may also want to look into traffic shaping on your network.

we're in Hawthorne, CA. Unfortunately my fellow employee's/partners are awful with tech. dropbox is the only thing that I have tried that they use and can understand. it's very plug and play and they can all access it from their phones on the road.

if i remember correctly, the business cable options sucked from time warner. slow as heck, around 4-6 down and 768 up for $200+. I'm on their DOCSIS downloading 30mb/2mb up for $70.

I just signed 3 of my customers up for TWC's 15/2 business cable at $250 a month. When you call tell them you are looking to dump your T1, but they have to offer better bandwidth for the same or less cost for it to be worth it.

hmmm...i like that. i was a bit worried about their contract but 250 for a 15/2 is tasty

If TW is in your area, and you need lots of up/download speed....check out their Docsis 3 wideband products. They have a 50/5 package. A bit slower than some other cable providers...but..you got what you got, and TW is your cable provider.

If TW is in your area, and you need lots of up/download speed....check out their Docsis 3 wideband products. They have a 50/5 package. A bit slower than some other cable providers...but..you got what you got, and TW is your cable provider.

Its funny, they are offering DOCSIS 3 for residential around here, but not for business. If I wanted that they try to bump me to their metro Ethernet.

But if you can get it DOCSIS 3 is greatt, I pay $75/mo for my 30/5 at home and the extra $15 a month is definitely worth it for the extra 4 up that I am getting. The two year business contract does kinda suck because if you want out there is usually some ETF involved, and it isn't cheap.

yep, it's so annoying that they screw over businesses. I wish i had my DOCSIS res line at my business.

Back