• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best Internal DVDRW Drive?

dangfx

Gawd
Joined
May 2, 2001
Messages
707
Hi All,
So it seems like my Plextor 716-AL no longer recognizes DVDs (see problem below). It's past its warranty, so it looks like I need a new burner. Blu-Ray isn't necessary, but Lightscribe would be kinda cool. Would just like something reliable, fast, good support, and very compatible. Need a regular ATA 3.5" internal drive (using an Asus A8N-E motherboard).

What would you recommend?




(Problem: When I put a DVD in, it tries to load, and I get a repeated 2 orange/amber blinks from the front light. When I click/double-click on the DVD drive in My Computer, nothing happens. Same goes for commercial DVDs and burned DVDs, any format. Yet it reads CDs and burned CDs fine. I've tried cleaning the lens and unit. I've tried to update the firmware and run PlexUTILITIES 1.3, but both say "no drive connected," even though the drive appears and "working fine" in the BIOS and the Device Manager).
 
You mean a 5.25" Drive. But there are bunches with Lightscribe support. I have, mostly based on positive reviews on NewEgg, a Lite-On iHAS 424-98 that cost $24.
 
For burners, I would go with Optiarc AD-7261S/7241S or exactly what gauchi recommened. You can also find the iHAS through ASUS drives (the 24B1-LT is an ihas drive that has lightscribe i believe). You can try doing a search on the cdfreaks forums for whatever's currently the big ticket. Those guys have the whole site dedicated to this kind of thing.
 
Pick a well-known name brand and go with it. Honestly, they're pretty much all the same. Check this thread for some nice suggestions; any one of those are fine.
 
lite-on or optiarc seem to last the longest for me. I burn out a ton of lg and samsung drives and see higher fail rates on them at work and in my custom builds. It could just be me but its a trend i noticed.
 
Actually, your choices are becoming more limited as time progresses. This is due to the fact that your existing Plextor drive has an IDE (PATA) interface rather than a SATA interface. And with your particular motherboard you're stuck with IDE/PATA unless you somehow acquire a PCI SATA card that supports optical drives (unfortunately, many add-on SATA controllers do not support optical drives at all - but support only hard drives).
 
Last edited:
Back
Top