Best Intel Board For $80-110??

afropuff

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

My old Gigabyte mobo is messed up and I was wondering what the best Intel mobo is for around $80-110. It does not need to have a bunch of features on it but I want it to be very stable and very overclockable. So what would you suggest??

Thanks!

acascianelli said:
i bought my ic7g refurbished off newegg for around 80$.

with the problems I am having with this board I am not sure if I want to go w/a refurb. That is one option though.

-fro

well to be perfectly honest...the board i got refurbed from newegg had a bad onboard network when i got it and i returned it to abit. so i can see where your coming from by not wanting to buy a refurb.

newegg only has 2 i875 boards (new) in that price range. one is an intel board that doesnt support prescotts, and that other is an albatron board which probobly has shitty overclocking capability.

here are the refurbs that are worthwhile looking at...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-153R&type=Refurbished

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-449R&type=Refurbished

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-464R&type=Refurbished

...those are just the i875 chipset boards, i figure since youll be overclocking youll want the best of the s478 chipsets. they have some good i865 boards too.

Take a look at the Abit Ai7 its 856PE..but a nice midrang in price and great performer

I was also thinking about getting the new 939 mobos for an AMD 64 3000+. I know this an Intel forum and bias, but I don't see the LGA775 sockets going anywhere, but I think the 939's would be good for future upgrades. What do you all think of that?

well...the LGA775 is going to be used for Dual Core CPUs in 2005..but thats nowhere.....

Warrior said:
well...the LGA775 is going to be used for Dual Core CPUs in 2005..but thats nowhere.....

yah, but are the mobos that are LGA775 compatible today going to support the dual processors in '05 ?!

no..but your statement said that LGA775 was going no where :rolleyes: ..and all they are, are going up!

Warrior said:
no..but your statement said that LGA775 was going no where :rolleyes: ..and all they are, are going up!

Well, obviously the LGA775 mobos that are out now..and that is what I am talking about, are going nowhere. :rolleyes:
gg

-fro

Epox 4PDA2+ revision 2

It's one of the most stable, best OCing P4 boards out there.

Review:
http://www.ocprices.com/?rev_id=172

To buy, got to epox.com, then take the link to their store (it's down right now so can't link for you). Last time I looked, it was about $120.

Since I got mine installed and tested with OCing, I'd say the board is easily worth $220+.

I picked up an Intel 875PBZLK on Ebay for $94.00 shipped to the door. It was an OEM board but, coupled with a Gigabyte of ram and a 3.0 Ghz P4 it really flies. There is no option to overclock, but thats not something I do anymore.

Novensu

Badger_sly said:
Epox 4PDA2+ revision 2

Review:
http://www.ocprices.com/?rev_id=172

To buy, got to epox.com, then take the link to their store (it's down right now so can't link for you). Last time I looked, it was about $120.

Since I got mine installed and tested with OCing, I'd say the board is easily worth $220+.

Epox boards kick ass.

I have a Epox 4-PDA5+ that was $96 ish after shipping from Newegg about a week ago. Dunno if they carry it anymore (maybe I got the last one). Uses i865PE chipset, 4x SATA and SATA RAID 0/1/5/10.

While ABIT and ASUS are obviously the enthusiasts choice, I'd still take a brand-new Epox over a refurb Abit or Asus anyday especially at lower prices.

you can't beat intel-brand boards, imho.

for s478, you can get the D865PERLL, retail. If you can find it within your price, the D875PBZLK is awsome. Also look at the D915GAGL and G915PCYL in that range.

potroast said:
you can't beat intel-brand boards, imho

As far as reliability & stability, probably not. But if you're looking for more, you better steer clear of Intel-branded boards.

looking for more of what?

the new lga775 intel boards even allow a little overclocking.

last time I checked the only board with more, reall, was the Asus P5AD2 premium and I went through about 10 of em -- each one had something on it that didn't work properly.

Badger_sly said:
Epox 4PDA2+ revision 2

No it isn't.

Badger_sly said:

Just because some review says so? Seriously those reviews never have all the facts. The key facts they always leave out are long term reliability and how the company is for support and RMA. In the week or two weeks of testing you can do max for a review you will not get all the facts about a motherboard and long term use. Some problems with a particular type of board don't come up until almost a year or more after it's been released.

Like when several of the motherboards back on the day had the problem with the bad caps that came out of Taiwan. The reviews never covered that. It took months for those boards to fail.

so take those reviews or any reviews for that matter with a grain of salt. I work on alot of systems with ECS and EpoX boards in them. I'll tell you that they are junk. Nothing but trouble. I've had tons of friends who bought into the reviews and were suckered with a product that while it worked was great, but failed within a year. Sure they overclock fine until thier caps start to burst.

A huge problem I've had with EpoX is troubleshooting thier error codes on their website. If you don't have the manual you are pretty much SOL. Their website blows and isn't easy to navigate.

Reviews never cover long term reliability or the customer service and support experience. Trust me. Look no further than Asus or even Abit. Intel is a good brand if your not overclocking.

While Abit and Asus aren't necessarily the best in the RMA department the likely hood of having to use their RMA services are less than if you went with Soyo or EpoX and especially ECS.

ECS, Soyo, EpoX and even some Gigabyte models are crap. Plain and simple. Some people will say that they've had those boards a long time and they've worked great. And that's probably true. Percentage wise you'll have less problems going with a more reputable manufacturer.

The motherboard is the last place in a system you want to cut corners.

Badger_sly said:
Epox 4PDA2+ revision 2

Sir-Fragalot said:
No it isn't.

Yes it is. Thanks for you opinion, even though it amounts to purposeful crapping on a post that differs from your own opinion.

Back